Suspect in Norwich jewellery robbery charged with escaping custody
A suspect in an alleged �37,000 jewellery robbery has been charged with escaping custody.
Mark Barton of Cotman Fields, in the city centre, faces three charges of robbery and one for escaping from custody.
He was supposed to be in Britannia House, part of Norwich Prison, from September 14 to September 19, but is accused of escaping.
It is alleged Mr Barton then committed three city centre robberies.
He was charged with robbing jewellery worth �37,299 on November 1.
The 29-year-old is also accused of taking �3,275 in cash on October 19 and robbing �932 on October 28.
At Norwich Magistrates Court this morning the tattooed Mr Barton did not enter a plea.
- 1 Greater Anglia application to demolish train station building thrown out
- 2 Load of Bull! Anger as Red Bull ramps up threat against Norwich gin firm
- 3 What is this mystery tower that has sprung up in Norwich?
- 4 It's going down! Demolition of car showroom begins to make way for homes
- 5 Drunk student crashed into hotel wall after drinking tequilas
- 6 'How I made four million flipping council houses into luxury student digs'
- 7 Two Norwich shops named among UK's best independent stores
- 8 REVEALED: Hotspots in Norwich with the most burglaries
- 9 Asteroid bigger than any building on Earth to be visible in Norfolk skies
- 10 'I can't lose!' City fan places 150/1 bet on Canaries dismal scoring record
He was denied bail by the court.
The case was sent to Norwich Crown Court for November 16.