Pregnant woman caught dealing heroin avoids jail
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
A pregnant woman caught dealing heroin in Norwich thanked the judge after he suspended her prison sentence.
Katherine Birch sold a wrap of heroin and a wrap of crack cocaine to 'Tommo' for £25 on March 21.
Norwich Crown Court heard how she appeared with the drugs after the undercover officer called a number for the 'Oreo' drug line.
Mr Youell, prosecuting, said the 0.14g of heroin had a purity of 54pc, while the 0.1g of cocaine had an 82pc purity.
Birch, 40, of Rosary Road, pleaded guilty to two counts of supplying Class-A drugs.
You may also want to watch:
Jonathan Goodman, mitigating, said Birch had a 'long-standing and significant' Class-A drug habit.
He said she is now 18 weeks pregnant with her first child.
- 1 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 2 Man and woman found dead in home
- 3 Parts of busy Norwich road to be shut for three days for repairs
- 4 Water starts gushing out of sinkhole on Norwich city centre road
- 5 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 6 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 7 £800k roadworks branded 'waste of time and effort'
- 8 Praise for city's welcoming spirit after 'phenomenal' Norwich Pride
- 9 Twin Bakes sell out of treats during first pop-up sale
- 10 Norwich pub to temporarily close this summer because of 'pingdemic'
Judge Anthony Bate sentenced her to two years in prison, suspended for 18 months.
She must also undertake a six-month drug rehabilitation course.