Police issue theft warning to Norwich businesses
Businesses in Norwich have been urged to improve their security after a spate of thefts and burglaries at premises in the city.
The warning comes after West Centre Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT) over the past few weeks have seen businesses targeted including car dealerships, vehicle dismantlers and garages. Many of the break-ins have taken place overnight.
The majority of the premises have had sheds and portable buildings broken into.
Items such as tools, car batteries, alloy wheels, car stereos and Sat Navs have also been taken from vehicles.
During the same period, Mile Cross, Catton and Fiddlewood SNT have seen several thefts from vehicles where items including catalytic converters and wheels have been stolen.
You may also want to watch:
Inspector Nigel Richards from West Centre SNT said: 'Business premises can deter opportunist thieves by taking simple security measures. '
Inspector Mark Haddow from Mile Cross, Catton and Fiddlewood SNT said: 'We are currently investigating all of the crimes and would like to reassure local companies that we are actively stepping up high visibility patrols in the areas previously targeted.'
- 1 Up and coming Norwich musician reaches number 13 in UK charts
- 2 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 3 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 4 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 5 'A little bit of hope' - Care home manager look back on last 10 months
- 6 Drink-driver caught on flyover after police spot 'worrying' driving
- 7 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 8 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 9 Can you rehome this Terrier who has spent nine years at animal sanctuary?
- 10 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
Commercial premises are being advised to tighten their security by carrying out a few crime prevention measures:
Regularly review your procedures to ensure that your property is well protected
Ensure that visitors to your premises are monitored
Be on the look out for unusual or suspicious behaviour and contact the police
Encourage your staff to be security minded at work
Establish contact with all neighbouring businesses, stay in contact with the police and stop these criminals in their tracks
Security mark valuable equipment
Don't leave expensive items out on display
Remember to lock all doors and windows when the unit is unoccupied
Consider fitting tracker devices to plant, machinery and other vehicles
Fit a monitored intruder alarm fitted by a reputable installer.
For more crime prevention advice visit www.norfolk.police.uk.
If you have any information regarding crime in your area you can contact your SNT on 0845 456 4567 or alternatively call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.