Search

One year on and nobody has been brought to justice for killing of Sergio Meges in St Stephen’s underpass

PUBLISHED: 07:28 10 June 2016 | UPDATED: 08:02 10 June 2016

An inquest has been set for Sergiusz Meges, who died in St Stephen's underpass in Norwich. PHOTO BY SIMON FINLAY

An inquest has been set for Sergiusz Meges, who died in St Stephen's underpass in Norwich. PHOTO BY SIMON FINLAY

ARCHANT NORFOLK

Find Sergio’s killers – that is the emphatic message to police today, exactly a year since the body of a 29-year-old homeless man was found in Norwich.

Sergiusz Meges who died in St Stephen's underpass in Norwich. Photo: The Peoples' Picnic/FacebookSergiusz Meges who died in St Stephen's underpass in Norwich. Photo: The Peoples' Picnic/Facebook

The discovery of the body of Sergiusz Meges, known as Sergio, in St Stephen’s underpass, led to a murder inquiry which resulted in the arrest of two men.

But no further action was taken against the men, both from the Norwich area, and the anniversary has prompted renewed calls for justice.

Norwich Big Issue seller Ian Coltman, 44, who knew Sergio, said: “I didn’t realise it was a year. It’s a shame that no-one has been found yet.

“I hope police continue to investigate it. They should do it to their utmost ability and find whoever was responsible.”

The area in St Stephen’s subway where Sergiusz Meges was found dead.
PHOTO BY SIMON FINLAYThe area in St Stephen’s subway where Sergiusz Meges was found dead. PHOTO BY SIMON FINLAY

Mr Coltman said it was “sickening” Sergio lost his life like that and described him as a “friendly” bloke who “always had a smile on his face”.

Elizabeth Williams, 77, and her husband Martin, 67, who used to say hello to Sergio as they walked through the underpass also called on police to catch his killers.

Mr Williams said: “It’s very sad. We definitely urge police to do all they can to find who was responsible. No-one deserves what happened to him.”

The body of Mr Meges, a Polish national who had previous addresses in Norwich and Thetford, was discovered in the early hours of June 10 last year.

His death was initially treated as unexplained. But forensic inquiries revealed fatal injuries.

A Norfolk Police spokesman said: “The investigation into Sergiusz’s death remains open and we will of course act on any new information. We are still keen to hear from anyone who may have been in the area of St Stephen’s subway between 11pm on 9 June and 7am the following morning.”

Information to police on 101 or via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Timeline

June 10, 2015: Police called shortly before 7am to reports of a man found collapsed at the underpass. Police say the death is being treated as unexplained but not thought to be suspicious.

June 16, 2015: Detectives reveal they are treating the death as suspicious after forensic enquiries revealed fatal injuries which were not immediately visible.

June 17, 2015: Police interview more than 80 people in the underpass as part of one-week on anniversary apppeal.

June 18, 2015: Detectives say they want to speak to two people who saw the man in the early hours of June 10.

June 19, 2015: Police officially name Mr Meges and issue further appeal for witnesses.

July 13, 2015: Inquest into death of Mr Meges opened and hears he died as a result of haemorrhage and splenic lacerations.

July 22, 2015: Detectives arrest two men, 21 and 18, both from the Norwich area, on suspicion of murder.

April 2016: Police reveal no further action will be taken against the two men.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Norwich Evening News. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Norwich Evening News