Norwich police search for pair who assaulted homeless man
Norwich Police are on the hunt for two men who assaulted a man for trying to stop them from beating up a homeless man in the early hours of Christmas Eve last year.
Officers have released CCTV images of the two men they want to speak to in connection with the incident that happened in the city centre between 3.30am and 3.45am on Friday, 24 December.
The 28-year-old victim left the Mustard Lounge nightclub on All Saints Green and walked to Pottergate, on the other side of the city centre. As he did so he witnessed a homeless male being assaulted by two men close to the local Job Centre Plus.
The good samaritan attempted to stop the incident but was then followed by the two men who in turn assaulted him and stole his wallet.
Officers are keen to speak to the initial victim - who was believed to have been homeless - or hear from anyone who may recognise either male in the CCTV images.
You may also want to watch:
The first man was described as black, aged 24 to 25, 6ft 2ins tall, of slim build with short grade one or two shaven hair.
The second man was described as white, aged 24 to 25, 5ft 11ins to 6ft tall, of medium build with short light brown hair and heavy stubble. He was wearing a distinctive hooded top with large black and white check, underneath a jacket.
- 1 Woman taken to hospital after police incident in Norwich
- 2 Man, 47, in court on murder charge after Thorpe stabbing
- 3 Eager shoppers queue for opening of 20-year-old's vintage clothing shop
- 4 Long-suffering A11 drivers to benefit as 50-year-old road replaced
- 5 Influencer loses one-of-a-kind wedding ring at coast
- 6 Pet carer service's appeal to survive after Covid and faulty van struggles
- 7 Meat factory for sale for £1.2million earmarked for homes
- 8 Police and air ambulance called to major incident near Norwich
- 9 Story behind this famous photo of when Norwich went electric in 1957
- 10 £1.3m property for sale on one of most popular roads in Norwich
It is not the first time that the homeless have been picked on in Norwich.
In 2007 officers launched an appeal after a vicious attack on a homeless man in Norwich's Prince of Wales Road was uploaded to video sharing site YouTube.
Police are now hoping that the CCTV images released can help them to capture the two men who assaulted both the homeless man and the good samaritan who tried to save him as the start of the Christmas holidays.
Anyone with any information is asked to contact Det Con Neal Carr at Norwich CID on 0845 456 4567 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Do you have a story for the Evening News? Contact reporter David Freezer on 01603 772418 or on email at firstname.lastname@example.org