Norwich MP supports graffiti campaign at paint-out on Churchill Road
A Norwich MP has joined police and young offenders to help clear unsightly graffiti which has been blighting the lives of families living in part of the city.
Chloe Smith, Norwich North MP, attended the paint-out to remove graffiti in an alleyway running between Churchill Road and Northcote Road, off Sprowston Road, despite breaking her foot in a tumble in the corridors of the Houses of Parliament last month.
She said: 'It's very important to tackle graffiti across the city because that sends out a strong message that it shouldn't be tolerated when it appears. It's not just a victimless hobby for someone with a spray can – it's vandalism.'
The paint-out, which fits in with the Evening News's Graffitibusters campaign which urges volunteers help rid the city of illegal graffiti tags, was organised by Norwich City Council and Norfolk police.
Emma Penfold, Norwich City Council community engagement officer for the north team, said: 'Today's positive action is really encouraging to see and demonstrates that when local people, the police and the youth offending team work in partnership, we can together make your patch an even cleaner safer place'.
You may also want to watch:
Local beat manager PC Stu Daniels said: 'Graffiti is an eyesore within the community and can be costly to remove.
'We've carried out an audit of the area to identify hotspots which we hope to include in future paint-outs in the coming months.
- 1 Fire tears through historic Thorpe pub
- 2 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 3 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 4 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 5 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 6 Coronavirus recovery centre never used in first wave to be opened
- 7 Jailed in Norfolk: Burglars, domestic abuse and threats to kill
- 8 Bakery pushes back Norwich reopening date after daily taking dropped to £26
- 9 Delays as 23m-long caravan travels through Norfolk
- 10 Vaccines roll-out to move on to over 70s
To find out more about Graffitibusters visit www.eveningnews24.co.uk.