Norwich MP supports graffiti campaign at paint-out on Churchill Road
A Norwich MP has joined police and young offenders to help clear unsightly graffiti which has been blighting the lives of families living in part of the city.
Chloe Smith, Norwich North MP, attended the paint-out to remove graffiti in an alleyway running between Churchill Road and Northcote Road, off Sprowston Road, despite breaking her foot in a tumble in the corridors of the Houses of Parliament last month.
She said: 'It's very important to tackle graffiti across the city because that sends out a strong message that it shouldn't be tolerated when it appears. It's not just a victimless hobby for someone with a spray can – it's vandalism.'
The paint-out, which fits in with the Evening News's Graffitibusters campaign which urges volunteers help rid the city of illegal graffiti tags, was organised by Norwich City Council and Norfolk police.
Emma Penfold, Norwich City Council community engagement officer for the north team, said: 'Today's positive action is really encouraging to see and demonstrates that when local people, the police and the youth offending team work in partnership, we can together make your patch an even cleaner safer place'.
You may also want to watch:
Local beat manager PC Stu Daniels said: 'Graffiti is an eyesore within the community and can be costly to remove.
'We've carried out an audit of the area to identify hotspots which we hope to include in future paint-outs in the coming months.
- 1 'Dream come true': Norwich restaurant wins national award
- 2 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
- 3 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students
- 4 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 5 Mum's pleas to move house denied despite GP's concerns over wellbeing
- 6 Should straight people go into queer clubs and bars?
- 7 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 8 'The final straw' - Bakery fears closure over council plans
- 9 Norwich man wanted by police
- 10 See inside this quirky bungalow for sale near Norwich railway station
To find out more about Graffitibusters visit www.eveningnews24.co.uk.