Norwich MP supports graffiti campaign at paint-out on Churchill Road
A Norwich MP has joined police and young offenders to help clear unsightly graffiti which has been blighting the lives of families living in part of the city.
Chloe Smith, Norwich North MP, attended the paint-out to remove graffiti in an alleyway running between Churchill Road and Northcote Road, off Sprowston Road, despite breaking her foot in a tumble in the corridors of the Houses of Parliament last month.
She said: 'It's very important to tackle graffiti across the city because that sends out a strong message that it shouldn't be tolerated when it appears. It's not just a victimless hobby for someone with a spray can – it's vandalism.'
The paint-out, which fits in with the Evening News's Graffitibusters campaign which urges volunteers help rid the city of illegal graffiti tags, was organised by Norwich City Council and Norfolk police.
Emma Penfold, Norwich City Council community engagement officer for the north team, said: 'Today's positive action is really encouraging to see and demonstrates that when local people, the police and the youth offending team work in partnership, we can together make your patch an even cleaner safer place'.
You may also want to watch:
Local beat manager PC Stu Daniels said: 'Graffiti is an eyesore within the community and can be costly to remove.
'We've carried out an audit of the area to identify hotspots which we hope to include in future paint-outs in the coming months.
- 1 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 2 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 3 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 4 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 5 Water starts gushing out of sinkhole on Norwich city centre road
- 6 Post-Latitude covid has made me realise pandemic has a long way to go
- 7 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 8 Woman crashed into two cars after drinking at friend's home, court hears
- 9 Financial clause revealed in Rashica move to Norwich City
- 10 Two men charged with aggravated burglary at used car lot
To find out more about Graffitibusters visit www.eveningnews24.co.uk.