Norwich Man grabbed woman and put plastic bag over her head
A woman managed to fight off a man who grabbed her from behind and put a plastic bag over her head as she was walking alone at night in Norwich, a court heard.
The victim was walking in the Rosary Road area in Thorpe Hamlet, Norwich, at about 10.30pm and had stopped to roll up a cigarette when Philip Sewell, 20, approached from behind and put the plastic bag over her head.
Norwich Crown Court heard that she fought to take the bag off and flagged down a passing motorist for help who then contacted the police about the matter. Sewell was later arrested in the area and admitted to police what he had done.
The court heard that Sewell of Rosary Road, Norwich, who has mental health difficulties, admitted affray on June 12 this year and was made subject to a hospital order so he can get the help he needs.
Sentencing him, Judge Alasdair Darroch told him that he had read psychiatriatric reports and said: 'This was clearly potentially a very dangerous situation. I am not here to punish you but I have to protect the public.'
You may also want to watch:
Katharine Moore for Sewell, said: 'This is a young man without previous convictions. He does not have a history of causing anyone serious harm.'
- 1 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 2 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 3 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job
- 4 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 5 Large estate to have its first food store this autumn
- 6 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 7 Norfolk hit by thunderstorms and heavy hail
- 8 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash
- 9 Plans to remove crossing in £440k works branded 'crazy' by councillors
- 10 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m