Norwich Man grabbed woman and put plastic bag over her head
A woman managed to fight off a man who grabbed her from behind and put a plastic bag over her head as she was walking alone at night in Norwich, a court heard.
The victim was walking in the Rosary Road area in Thorpe Hamlet, Norwich, at about 10.30pm and had stopped to roll up a cigarette when Philip Sewell, 20, approached from behind and put the plastic bag over her head.
Norwich Crown Court heard that she fought to take the bag off and flagged down a passing motorist for help who then contacted the police about the matter. Sewell was later arrested in the area and admitted to police what he had done.
The court heard that Sewell of Rosary Road, Norwich, who has mental health difficulties, admitted affray on June 12 this year and was made subject to a hospital order so he can get the help he needs.
Sentencing him, Judge Alasdair Darroch told him that he had read psychiatriatric reports and said: 'This was clearly potentially a very dangerous situation. I am not here to punish you but I have to protect the public.'
You may also want to watch:
Katharine Moore for Sewell, said: 'This is a young man without previous convictions. He does not have a history of causing anyone serious harm.'
- 1 Road to close for three nights for £100,000 work
- 2 Student and partner woke to see burglar at end of bed
- 3 Big Issue seller on how lockdown pushed him closer to homelessness
- 4 Builder wants zero affordable homes in development – after promising 13
- 5 Emma Thompson and Peaky Blinders actor to star in new film shot in Norwich
- 6 Road closed after police incident in Norwich
- 7 N&N staff first in UK to use pioneering Covid saliva tests
- 8 Drama as police plane circles villages for missing person
- 9 Road closures as police dealt with concerns over people's safety
- 10 Comedy in the Park and Britannia Pier shows among confirmed 2021 events