Norwich killer back in custody after he breaches his licence for a second time

Gerard Stonehouse and Son Jonathan Stonehouse at Norwich Crown Court charged with the manslaughter o

Gerard Stonehouse and Son Jonathan Stonehouse at Norwich Crown Court charged with the manslaughter of Robert Moore in McDonald's.Photo:Antony KellyCopy:Dom CheesumFor: Evening news-NEWSEvening News pics © 2007(01603) 772434 - Credit: Evening News © 2007

The former girlfriend of a man who died after being attacked in a Norwich restaurant has told of her shock after one of the killers breached his licence for a second time.

Jemma Todd on the second day (tues 23rd Oct) of the trial of Gerard and Jonathan Stonehouse, who are

Jemma Todd on the second day (tues 23rd Oct) of the trial of Gerard and Jonathan Stonehouse, who are accused of the manslaughter of her boyfriend Richard Moore.For : Evening NewsPhoto : Steve AdamsCopyright Archant Norfolk - Credit: Copyright Archant Norfolk

Jonathan Stonehouse was sentenced to nine years in a young offenders' institution after being convicted of the manslaughter of Richard Moore, 21, in front of his eight-month pregnant partner, Jemma Todd, in McDonald's in Hay Hill in March 2007.

Stonehouse was released from prison in 2012 after serving half his sentence.

Under his licence he was excluded from visiting anywhere within the inner ring road, as well as several other areas of Norwich.

However, in October 2012, Ms Todd's mother came face to face with him at Chicago's nightclub on Prince of Wales Road. He was recalled to prison and released again in September 2013.

But on May 9 Stonehouse was spotted in Norwich's Asda store, which is in another area he is excluded from visiting as part of his licence. He was arrested in the early hours of Sunday.

A Norfolk police spokesman confirmed that a 25-year-old man wanted on recall to prison was arrested in Norwich on Sunday for breaching the terms of his licence and taken into custody.

Most Read

Ms Todd, 25, said: 'Once again I'm shocked that he's put everybody in this position – myself, my son, my family, Richard's family and Richard's friends.

'It shows completely no respect for any of us. He can't expect to kill someone and then act like everything is all right.

'That's why the exclusions are there in the first place – to give us all a little of breathing space and time to deal with this and not to have to worry about bumping into him.

'It still has a big effect on all of us to this day. We have to live with it every day. I feel a little calmer today knowing he's locked up, but for the last week it's brought it all back.'

Ms Todd, who lives in Norwich, said she thought about her partner's death often, as she was reminded of him through their son Cameron, who is now seven.

She added: 'I can't thank the police and the staff at Asda enough for acting so quickly on this and to get this resolved.

'They have done me proud and I feel safe again now.'

The case

Richard Moore died from a blow to the neck in what was described in court as a 'vicious attack' that continued as he slumped in his seat.

Gerard Stonehouse, then 48, and his son Jonathan, then 18, both of Woodcock Road, Norwich, were convicted of manslaughter in November 2007.

Judge Peter Jacobs sentenced Gerard Stonehouse to nine years in prison and Jonathan Stonehouse to nine years in a young offenders' institution. He said they would have had shorter sentences if they had not chosen to 'fight the case in the face of overwhelming evidence'.

The court heard the confrontation began when Mr Moore defended his girlfriend who had accused Jonathan Stonehouse of staring at her.

Norwich Crown Court heard the father and son continued to beat Mr Moore as he lay lifeless and dying.

Mr Moore, who was 5ft 8in tall and weighed eight stone, suffered 20 separate injuries in the attack.

One blow caused a tear in an underlying artery in the right-hand side of Mr Moore's neck and he died from internal bleeding. He was pronounced dead at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital on March 22, 2007.

The Stonehouses made no comment before issuing statements in which they claimed they had acted in self-defence.