'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
Daniel Moxon and Sarah Hussain
- Credit: Weather Wildlife & Scenery Photography
A man was arrested as armed police were spotted on a Norwich estate.
An eye-witness said police cars arrived in Bowers Avenue in Mile Cross at around 9.30am on Tuesday.
A number of units, including a police dog and several officers with firearms, were pictured close to a block of flats.
Norfolk Fire and Rescue said crews from Earlham and Sprowston were called to the scene, but they were stood down before arrival.
James Long said he saw at least five police cars on the scene.
He said: "It's the second time this year that something like this has happened. It never used to be like this around here."
He added he saw one man being placed under arrest.
The previous incident he referred to happened in the early hours of New Years' Day, when officers were called to Bowers Avenue following a "concern for safety".
- 1 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 2 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 3 Neighbours celebrate Norfolk Day bar win with street party
- 4 'Freedom Day' Hindu wedding in Norwich watched by 5m plus people
- 5 Bars and clubs see busy night as police up patrols
- 6 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 7 'I'd be utterly lost without it' - Family told to dig up vegetable patch
- 8 Faulty streetlights in city suburb prompt safety fears at night
- 9 Letter: 'We will be back', vows city hidden gem bar
- 10 Shoe shop founded in 1857 closes down
This is a breaking news story. Be sure the check back on the website for further updates as they come in.
Join our Norfolk Breaking News Facebook group to be the first to see breaking news stories in the county.
Join our Norfolk Crime Watch Facebook group for all the latest crime news.