More than three million viewers watched prison life inside HMP Norwich last night
- Credit: ITV
Three million viewers tuned in to watch Her Majesty's Prison Norwich on ITV at 9pm last night.
At present the prison is home to 750 adult inmates and young offenders, more than half of whom are fathers or husbands.
The show focused on a few specific prisoners to tug on the heartstrings – Nick Grady, separated from his family for 13 years for conspiracy to sell cocaine, Rocky Gamble, a father-of-two waiting to be sentenced for the sixth time, and 21-year-old Liam Poore who purchased an illegal weapon online.
The gritty documentary revealed that two thirds of inmates at HMP Norwich are thought to have a history of drug use and highlights this persisting problem, showing some prisoners trying to smuggle cannabis or heroin into the prison in various shocking ways, including via their babies' nappies.
Prisoner officer Darren reveals that because of this, all visitors are heavily searched upon arrival – especially young children. 'It's something we have to do because people do secrete items on children and young babies.'
You may also want to watch:
Despite the heavy security and seemingly strict approach, many viewers have complained that the inmates at HMP Norwich have it too easy, with one user on Twitter even going as far as to compare the prison to a 'holiday camp'.
Did you see the show? What did you think of it? You can leave your comments below.
- 1 Riverside pub welcomes customers again with new owners
- 2 First Bus investigates 'racist incident' involving driver and girl, 14
- 3 Woman injured by jars of sauce thrown in Sainsbury's
- 4 School told to improve three times since 2015 praised by Ofsted
- 5 Fourth time lucky as couple marry at last - with guests!
- 6 Norwich man's £500k pay-out for brain injury suffered in work accident
- 7 Parents open up after teen son's near-fatal motorbike crash
- 8 Indian variant Covid cases in Norfolk 'cause to be cautious'
- 9 Golden Triangle terrace for sale for £545k - and it has off-street parking
- 10 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk