Search

More drink-drivers appear in Norfolk and Suffolk courts

PUBLISHED: 07:55 09 January 2015

A motorist from north Suffolk has been convicted of drink-driving for the second time in three years after travelling at more than 90mph at night on the A14.

As part of our Name and Shame campaign, we have vowed to publicise court cases involving those who put the lives of others at risk by drinking and driving.

Christopher Byne’s Toyota Corolla was clocked doing 91mph when he was more than one-and-a-half times the drink-drive limit.

The 28-year-old of Coldham Lane, Gislingham, near Eye, pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol when he appeared before South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court in Ipswich.

The offence took place on December 18 on the A14 at Sproughton.

A breath test showed he had 59 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath. The legal alcohol limit is 35.

Byne was banned, from driving for 36 months, fined £500 and ordered to pay £50 to the victims’ fund and £85 costs.

A 22-year-old man has banned for driving for three years after being convicted from drink driving for second time in two years.

Jack Godden, who lived at Weedon Way in King’s Lynn at the time of the offence on December 21 last year, was also told to complete 100 hours of unpaid work.

Godden, who also appeared at King’s Lynn Magistrates’ court yesterday, pleaded guilty to taking a vehicle without the owner’s consent and criminal damage.

He was found to have 81 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath.

Jakki Upton, mitigating, said that the incident has had a “devastating effect” on the mechanic.

In Norwich Magistrates’ Court yesterday, James Millar, 44, of Heath Road, Sheringham, admitted driving his Mercedes while more than double the legal limit on Palace Street in Norwich at about 6.20pm on December 19. He crashed into a concrete bollard.

Lisa Britton, prosecuting, said he was “staggering around and looking drunk” and “running out in front of cars”. He had 73 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath.

Simon Nicholls, mitigating, said Millar was a man of good character.

Millar was fined £600, will pay a £60 victim surcharge and £85 in costs.

He will be banned from driving for 19 months but was offered a course to reduced the ban length.

Joel Gizzi, of Bulwer Close, Buxton, was arrested on December 18 on Crown Road.

He had 61 microgrammes of alcohol in his breath.

In Norwich yesterday, Gizzi admitted the offence and said he had “been really silly” and decided to drive after a row with his wife.

He was banned from driving for 17 months, given a £400 fine, will pay £40 surcharge and £85 prosecution costs. He was also offered a course to reduce the ban length.

Alexandru Cojocaru, of The Common, Stuston, near Diss, was found to be over the legal drink-drive limit on December 21. He had 59 microgrammes in 100 millilitres of breath.

Norwich Magistrates banned him from driving for 16 months, he was fined £200, will pay £85 in costs and a £20 surcharge. He too could reduce his ban length by completing a driving course.

And a 23-year-old man faces losing his job after being handed a 17-month driving ban for “pretending to blow” three times into a breathalyser.

Farm worker Samuel Bridges of King George Road, Hempton, near Fakenham, appeared at King’s Lynn Magistrates’ Court yesterday and gave a guilty plea for failing to provide a specimen for analysis on December 21 last year.

Bridges was banned from driving for 17 months, ordered to pay a £110 fine and £20 victim surcharge.

Have you got a crime story? Email peter.walsh@archant.co.uk

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Norwich Evening News

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists