Men in balaclavas stormed into Norwich hotel and robbed manager

The Riverside Hotel on Riverside Road, Norwich.PHOTO BY SIMON FINLAY

The Riverside Hotel on Riverside Road, Norwich.PHOTO BY SIMON FINLAY - Credit: SIMON FINLAY

Two balaclava-clad men stormed into a Norwich hotel, attacked the manager and robbed him of £4,500, a court heard.

The pair put a towel over the head of the manager of Riverside Hotel on Riverside Road, punched him repeatedly, seized the money and escaped, Norwich Crown Court was told.

Mykolas Dockevicius, 31, is accused of being one of the two men, and is standing trial, having denied robbery in the early hours of July 22, 2016.

Oliver Haswell, prosecuting, told the jury that the victim, despite having the towel put over his head, managed at one point to see two people dressed in black, wearing black balaclavas, in his room.

He said that when they fled the scene they left some of the cash on the floor and also found in the room was a black rubber glove, which when analysed was found to have the DNA of Dockevicius on it.

He said Dockevicius was later arrested for the robbery and he said when his phone was analysed it was found that his mobile phone signal showed he had been in the area at the time of the robbery.

He said that although the evidence was circumstantial, when taken together it was 'compelling'.

Most Read

He said the manager said he had never seen the glove found in his room before.

Dockevicius of Purland Road, Norwich, has denied robbery and claimed he had been in the area as he had been on a night out with friends and had been trying unsuccessfully to get into clubs on Prince of Wales Road.

Peter Eguae, for Dockevicius, said the case against him was circumstantial and claimed he was never identified by the victim of the robbery.

He said the fact a glove with his DNA was in the room did not mean that it was used in the robbery.

He had also called two defence witnesses, who claimed they had been out with Dockevicius on the night of the robbery and backed up his alibi that he was only in the area because he was trying to get into a club.

Both the prosecution and defence have given closing speeches in the case and Judge Andrew Shaw is expected to sum up to the jury before they retire to consider their verdict in the trial.