WATCH: Reverend astonished to find burning bush outside home
- Credit: Submitted
A usually quiet neighbourhood was alarmed to see a hedge set alight with the flames spotted from streets away.
Many people spotted the blaze in Harwood Road at 7pm on March 22, including Reverend Paul Rider who lives opposite.
The hedge belongs to Lakenham retiree Glen Boden who spoke of his shock at seeing the fire.
He said: "I had just got out of the bath and was drying off when I noticed how bright it was outside - which was strange given the time.
"That's when I looked outside noticed the hedge had gone up in flames."
While the 69-year-old pensioner was able to stop the fire, the damage was already done.
He said: "I was fortunate enough to have caught it before it spread too far - I just ran outside and hosed it down.
- 1 'Awe and disbelief' as thousands of bees swarm pub garden
- 2 U-turn on city bike shop closure
- 3 Which parts of Norwich could be underwater by 2030?
- 4 Fireworks, food stalls and music planned for jubilee party near Norwich
- 5 School sacks suspended teacher after investigation and petition
- 6 Man accused of murder refuses to appear in court
- 7 New images show progress of Sweet Briar Road repair
- 8 First look inside five-acre bug zoo - and you can take a creepy crawly home
- 9 Jailed this week: County lines gang and man found with cocaine in his car
- 10 Dispute with council over legal cannabis use following eviction from home
"But it's going to cost me about £4,000 to get everything sorted - I'll need to take the hedge out, replace it and pay people to get it all removed."
The fire was also called in by parents waiting for their kids to finish at the girl scouts group down the road.
Glen added: "A fire crew showed up and a police car had also parked over the road.
"The parents told me they saw two people fleeing the scene - apparently they told some of the firemen.
"I haven't heard anything since."
A police spokeswoman said: "This was not logged on our systems.
"If it wasn’t reported direct then it may not have been recorded."
Mr Boden added: "It's very stressful - there's enough going on the in world at the moment - why would someone do this."
Rev Paul Rider, priest at St John the Baptist & All Saints Church, lives across the road from where the incident took place.
He said: "My guest informed me the bush over the road was on fire.
"I ran out and saw a crowd of people who told me that as the flames went up they saw two people run away.
"The whole bush was really blazing - as it's an evergreen it just kept sparking - lots of smoke."