Man arrested after nine elderly victims in Norwich have bags snatched by bicycle-riding robber
- Credit: Archant
A man has been arrested by detectives investigating nine crimes where elderly people in Norwich have had their bags snatched by a bicycle riding robber.
Nine people, aged in their 70s and 90s, had bags stolen in the space of just over two weeks.
Police are linking the cases, with a man on a bike riding up to them and stealing their bags.
And today, a man in his 40s was arrested. He has been taken to Wymondham Police Investigation Centre where he will be questioned.
Earlier today, police released CCTV footage of the most recent robbery, where a woman in her 70s was pulled to the ground as a man on a bike rode past her and grabbed her bag.
That happened at around 12.50pm on Wednesday close to the Belvedere Community Centre in Belvoir Street.
The robbery was one of a number of robberies and thefts in the city in the past few days.
- 1 Former Norwich restaurant to be transformed into £1.5m food hall
- 2 Family living in city's 'worst' council house despair over new damp
- 3 See inside this 'stunning' £700k family home for sale in a Norwich suburb
- 4 Norwich City star and fan groups back call for drums at Carrow Road
- 5 Mum-to-be outraged after yobs vandalise 13 cars in suburb
- 6 Man refusing to pay rent for council flat over 16-year mould problem
- 7 Extra security measures approved for flats plagued by drug use
- 8 Norwich's tiniest pub completes facelift
- 9 'Torrid time' as insurance giant Marsh quits city centre
- 10 Graduate outraged after being handed tax bill for unoccupied student digs
• A woman in her 70s was robbed of her handbag in Ampthill Street, off Unthank Road on Tuesday. That crime happened at about 4.40pm.
• A man riding a bike stole a bag from a woman in her 90s in Distillery Square, off Dereham Road. He struck between 9.45am and 10.05am on Monday.
• A 72-year-old woman had her bag stolen by a man on a bike as she waited at a bus stop in Margaret Paston Avenue in Mile Cross. The crime happened shortly before 1.30pm on Saturday.
• A woman in her 80s was robbed of her red shopping bag in Brightys Opening, off Dereham Road. Again, a man on a bike was the description given, with the crime taking place at just before 10am on Friday, November 3.
Speaking about the crimes yesterday, detective Constable Emma Gray of Norwich CID, said: 'These are despicable crimes committed by an individual targeting the most vulnerable.
'I would encourage people, especially elderly residents, to be vigilant and report any suspicious behaviour to police.'
The police have linked the latest crimes to the following previous crimes:
• Monday, October 30 around 8.50am on Beloe Avenue in Bowthorpe, where a woman, aged in her 70s, who was using an electric wheelchair, was robbed of her handbag by a man riding a bike.
• Saturday, November 4 around 2.45pm in Grove Walk, near Ipswich Road, where a woman, aged in her 80s, has been pulled to the ground by an unknown man before her leather handbag was stolen.
• Sunday, November 5 around 10.35am in Angel Road, where a man riding a bike stole a bag from a woman in her 70s.
• Wednesday, November 8 around 10.20am on Adelaide Street, off Dereham Road, where a woman, aged in her 80s, had her handbag stolen from her by a man riding a bike.
• Witnesses or anyone with information should contact DC Emma Gray on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.