Man accused of city crime spree shouted he was a “gangster” before stealing mobile phones, court hears
PUBLISHED: 13:46 12 January 2018 | UPDATED: 13:46 12 January 2018
A factory worker has described how a man accused of a city centre crime spree had been shouting he was a “gangster” who could do anything before stealing a mobile phone.
Norwich Crown Court has heard that Jake Killick, 23, “marauded” around the city centre carrying out sex attacks and robberies in March last year.
Killick is on trial accused of six rapes, three robberies, sexual assault and false imprisonment with intent to commit a sexual offence on March 30 last year.
Giving evidence on Friday (January 12), a chocolate factory worker who had been going to catch a bus at Norwich Bus Station described seeing a man have his phone robbed.
MORE: Woman said to have been repeatedly raped during alleged Norwich crime spree said she did not consent to sex
The witness told Chris Paxton, prosecuting, she became aware of a man who was “walking with a lot of bravado”.
She said he was swinging his arms and walking with a sense of purpose while shouting that he was a gangster who could do anything.
“I don’t come from round here, I can even rob someone and no-one can even stop me.”
The witness said she saw him “running towards a man” who was talking on his mobile phone before he “barged him with his shoulder and took the phone off his head”.
She said the man then ran off while the witness went to check whether the victim was alright.
She said the victim, who did not speak English, appeared “frightened”.
Another witness who saw part of the incident at the bus station on the morning of March 30 last year, said she had become aware of a man “shouting in the distance”.
She said he was running towards her shouting expletives and said: “I can steal phones like nobody’s business.”
The witness then saw a man and a woman chasing after him before going to speak to staff in the ticket office.
Killick has also denied two other charges – rape and breaching a restraining order – both on January 5 last year.
The trial continues.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Norwich Evening News. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.