Norwich Weather



max temp: 18°C

min temp: 6°C

'Come on, let's do it': Jurors hear chilling threat as pair deny murder in Morrisons

PUBLISHED: 13:30 04 December 2017 | UPDATED: 08:53 05 December 2017

Nick Rogers, who died at Morrisons in Wymondham.

Nick Rogers, who died at Morrisons in Wymondham.


Two men launched an attack in front of terrified shoppers in a Morrisons supermarket, leaving a 26-year-old man with a “massive and catastrophic” brain injury from which he died, a jury heard.

Nick Singh, also known as Nick Rogers, was assaulted by Lee Monk, 20, and his uncle John Monk. 44, after the three men met while shopping in the store at Wymondham, shortly after 7.30pm on July 17. He died in hospital the following day.

Lee Monk, 20, of Silfield Road, Wymondham, and John Monk, 44, of Albini Way, Wymondham, have both pleaded not guilty to Mr Rogers’s murder on July 18.

The pair also deny assault occasioning actual bodily harm to Leo Wardrop on July 17.

Andrew Jackson, prosecuting at Norwich Crown Court, said there had been a simmering dispute between Mr Rogers and the Monk family: “The dispute had rather festered and had simmered along for about 12 months.”

He said when Lee Monk spotted Mr Rogers in the store the simmering dispute erupted into violence.

He said Mr Rogers offered no physical threat or violence but was jointly attacked by Lee Monk, joined by his uncle John Monk.

He said before launching the attack John Monk had said: “Come on let’s do it” as they attacked Mr Rogers in front of terrified onlookers.

“A number of punches were rained on Mr Rogers. He was unable to defend himself from such a sustained and powerful attack.”

He said that Mr Rogers’ friend Mr Wardrop tried to intervene, but he was also attacked.

Mr Jackson said as Mr Rogers was lying helpless on the floor Lee Monk had delivered a powerful kick to his head.

He said it caused a “massive and catastrophic” brain injury which meant Mr Rogers went into cardiac arrest.

Mr Rogers was taken to hospital and in intensive care, but never regained consciousness and was pronounced dead the next day.

Mr Jackson said: “He died as a result of his injury he sustained during the attack upon him by these two defendants.”

He said that CCTV footage from the store had captured the incident and he showed some footage to the jury although he said it had been edited so as not to show Mr Rogers unconscious and in cardiac arrest.

He said that it was a “dreadfully tragic coincidence” that the three men had met in Morrisons that evening as Mr Roberts had only popped in to buy some bottled water.

He said after the attack Lee Monk and his uncle simply left the store without showing concern for Mr Rogers.

Mr Jackson said both men were later arrested.

Lee Monk claimed he had acted to defend himself and claimed he had kicked Mr Rogers in the chest.

When John Monk was arrested he told police “I hope it ain’t murder” and said the attack had been a punch-up between his little nephew and said he was just in the “wrong place at the wrong time”.

Mr Jackson told the jury although Lee had delivered the kick to the head he said that both men had been acting together and it was only when they outnumbered Mr Rogers two to one that any punches were thrown.

“An attack by two men on one is a good deal more powerful and likely to cause considerably more harm than one person alone.”

The trial continues.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Norwich Evening News

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists