Lakenham newsagent tells of hammer robbery
A city newsagent has told how he was injured after fighting off a hammer-wielding robber.
The worker at Stuart's Newsagents on the corner of Hall Road and Trafalgar Street, Lakenham, took a blow to his head during the evening robbery.
However, he managed to grapple the weapon off his assailant and chase him out of the store following the attack at 9.20pm on Sunday.
The victim, who asked not to be identified, said the man had come into the shop and asked for the owner and for the best deal for beer.
The man then became agitated, walking backwards and forwards, before punching the owner of the shop.
The worker said: 'The guy then pushed him and said: 'Why are you looking at me?'
'Then he came this side of the counter and took a big hammer and asked: 'Where's the money? Give me money'.
- 1 Busy Norwich city centre road closed due to accident
- 2 Shabby shed being used by car hobbyist is 'planning breach', council says
- 3 'It was a shock' - Burglars raid newsagent after smashing window with axe
- 4 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 5 Man who founded Norwich vet hospital retiring after 33 years
- 6 MP to hold meeting over huge patient backlog at city surgery
- 7 'I was a bit gutted' - What change of crest means for Norwich City tattoo fans
- 8 Couple's horror at 'mindless vandalism' as Christmas lights torn down
- 9 Concerns raised over plans for 180 homes in suburb village
- 10 Charity worker risks losing THOUSANDS due to ongoing moving delays
'He hit me and I took the hammer and he ran out of the shop.'
The robber broke the till and stole some packets of cigarettes, but did not get away with any money.
The worker was checked over by paramedics, but said he was now feeling fine, apart from having a painful bump on his head.
Police would like to hear from anyone who may have witnessed the robbery or has information about it.
Anyone with information should contact DC Keith Linstead at Norwich CID on 0845 456 4567 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Do you have a story for the Evening News? Contact reporter Kim Briscoe on 01603 772419 or email email@example.com.