Fresh appeal 13 years on sparks new leads in hunt for knifeman who stabbed Norwich woman in the face as she walked to work
- Credit: Bill Smith - Archant
The detective leading the investigation into a vicious attack in broad daylight on a Norwich woman who was knifed in the face as she walked to work 13 years ago has revealed that police are following up new lines of inquiry following an appeal.
The Norwich Evening News together with Norfolk police last week issued a new appeal for information on what was the anniversary of the vicious attack on Julie Cooper as she walked back to work along Europa Way – a footpath and cyclepath close to the busy Martineau Lane – after having her lunch at home.
Mrs Cooper, then 28, suffered serious facial bone breaks, including to her upper and lower jaws, in the attack which happened in broad daylight between 1.05pm and 1.15pm on August 15, 2000 and required life-saving surgery which lasted more than nine hours.
Her attacker, who also stole her handbag, has never been identified but police hope the new appeal, which has been launched as part of Archant's Norfolk Unsolved campaign which sees the Norwich Evening News – and sister titles – working together with police to help crack serious unsolved cases, will prove a success.
And police have revealed the new appeal has generated more calls which have thrown up new lines of inquiry for the team trying to bring Mrs Cooper and her family the jus-tice for which she has waited so long.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Inspector Andy Guy said: 'We have received a small number of calls following last week's appeal, and two new lines of inquiry are being looked into.
'I am grateful to those that took the time to contact us and would continue to appeal to those who may know anything which they think could help.'
- 1 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 2 Tributes paid to 'amazing' Norwich shop worker
- 3 See how Norwich Castle's keep is being transformed
- 4 'I don't feel safe' - Boss' fears just one month into shop job
- 5 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 6 Schoolchildren still without playing field after TWO YEARS
- 7 All the fish and chip shops in Norwich with 5-star hygiene ratings
- 8 Motorcyclist injured after crash on Norwich road
- 9 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 10 'They don't add up' - Mixed reaction to city development plans
Information to police on 101.