Death of man in Prince of Wales Road an "isolated" incident, police say as inquest into man's death is opened
PUBLISHED: 16:27 19 August 2011 | UPDATED: 16:27 19 August 2011
Norfolk police are treating the death of a 43-year-old man in Prince of Wales Road last week as an "isolated" incident - and pledged to continue to police the street as before.
Meanwhile, an inquest into the death of Alan Jewitt, a father-of-two from Gertrude Road, Norwich, was opened today.
Mr Jewitt died in hospital after being attacked near Chicago’s nightclub in Prince of Wales Road in the early hours of Friday, August 12.
An inquest heard today that the self-employed electrician died from a blow to the head.
Adjourning the inquest to a date to be fixed, Norfolk coroner William Armstrong said: “A full post mortem report has not yet been completed but it was indicated that the cause of death was a traumatic haemorrhage caused by a blow to the left hand junction of the head and neck.”
Meanwhile, Det Supt Nick Dean from CID said they were treating Mr Jewitt’s tragic death as an “isolated” incident on Prince of Wales Road.
He said: “We will continue to provide routine levels of policing for a Friday and Saturday night in this area of Norwich.
“The city centre remains a safe place with dedicated patrols specifically targeted to police the night-time entertainment areas.
“We have also adopted an early intervention approach in dealing with disorder and issue stringent bail conditions to those people suspected of committing such crimes. Between 2010 -2011 there were 356 incidents of violence of varying levels on Prince of Wales Road and we continue to monitor the situation with regular analysis of the incidents reported.”
He added that while it was important to remember that people could go out and enjoy themselves at night, they needed to think about their actions and behave responsibly.
As reported, Romanian Ion Lacatus, 27, from Kettlebaston Road, Leyton, London, appeared at Norwich Crown Court this week charged with the manslaughter of Mr Jewitt. No plea was taken and the case was adjourned for a further hearing on October 7.