Court agrees to let Norwich entrepreneur travel to Cyprus
PUBLISHED: 16:00 11 November 2010
Eastern Daily Press © 2003
An entrepreneur who is to appear in court next month charged with violent disorder in a city street has had his bail conditions altered so he can fly out to Cyprus where staff at a hotel he owns have gone on strike.
Steve Peri, 52, who owns and occupies a number of entertainment premises, including Mercy nightclub and Pulse/Lace club and bar, has been charged with violent disorder in Prince of Wales Road on September 23.
Peri, who lives on Prince of Wales Road, has been charged together with sons Ibrahim, 27, and Dogan, 22; Mahmut Yenigun, 36, all from Prince of Wales Road and Philip Cawley, 27, also known as Philip Murphy, of Ruskin Road.
The Peris and Yenigun have all entered not guilty pleas while Cawley, who is in custody, has entered no plea.
All five, who initially appeared at Norwich Magistrates’ Court last month, were at court yesterday where they were committed to Norwich Crown Court for a hearing on December 8.
Ibrahim, Dogan and Yenigun were all granted bail until the next hearing on the condition that they reside at Prince of Wales and do not contact Cawley, whose custody has been extended until December 8.
But Peri senior submitted an application through his solicitor, Ian Fisher, to have the condition that he also reside at Prince of Wales changed so he can fly out to Cyprus to sort out a crisis at a hotel he owns.
Mr Fisher said: “My application on behalf of Mr Peri senior is that the restriction condition be lifted between now and the first appearance at the crown court.
“I ask that for this reason. He’s the proprietor of various businesses here in Norwich and elsewhere.
“He also has business interests in Cyprus. He’s the proprietor of a hotel on the sea front in Cyprus. There are certain issues to do with his business in Cyprus that require his attendance; his staff have gone on strike at the hotel, he needs to return to Cyprus to deal with this and other issues.”
Richard White, prosecuting, opposed the application stating the seriousness of the case and the strength of the evidence facing the defendants meant there would be a risk of him failing to attend the next hearing.
Mr Fisher said there was “no risk at all” that Peri would fail to answer bail and insisted the application had only been made so his client could sort out his business in Cyprus before returning for the next court date.
He said: “As far as Mr Peri’s concerned he’s 52, he’s a British citizen, he has a UK passport, he has very substantial and extensive business interests here in this country. He has an English wife, he has three children, a grandchild and a family residence in Essex and business interests in this city and elsewhere.
“He’s a man of, in effect good character, this charge is a denied matter. He has very, very substantial and extensive ties, both business and family, and its frankly absurd with all that to tie him here he’s then going to become a fugitive.”
Magistrates agreed to vary Peri senior’s bail conditions so he could get back to Cyprus, but ordered him to report to Bethel Street Police Station on Monday, December 6 between noon and 2pm. He must also not contact Cawley.