CCTV captures shocking moment ‘despicable’ robber on bike pulls woman in her 70s to the floor
Police have released CCTV footage of a robbery in Norwich where a man on a bike pulled a woman in her 70s to the ground and stole her bag.
The incident happened on Wednesday November 15 around 12.50pm close to the Belvedere Community Centre on Belvoir Street.
The robbery was one of a number of robberies and thefts in the city in the last week:
• A woman in her 70s was robbed of her handbag in Ampthill Street, off Unthank Road on Tuesday. That crime happened at about 4.40pm.
• A man riding a bike stole a bag from a woman in her 90s in Distillery Square, off Dereham Road. He struck between 9.45am and 10.05am on Monday.
• A 72-year-old woman had her bag stolen by a man on a bike as she waited at a bus stop in Margaret Paston Avenue in Mile Cross. The crime happened shortly before 1.30pm on Saturday.
• A woman in her 80s was robbed of her red shopping bag in Brightys Opening, off Dereham Road. Again, a man on a bike was the description given, with the crime taking place at just before 10am on Friday, November 3.
Speaking about the crimes yesterday, detective Constable Emma Gray of Norwich CID, said: “These are despicable crimes committed by an individual targeting the most vulnerable.
“I would encourage people, especially elderly residents, to be vigilant and report any suspicious behaviour to police.”
The police have linked the latest crimes to the following previous crimes:
• Monday, October 30 around 8.50am on Beloe Avenue in Bowthorpe, where a woman, aged in her 70s, who was using an electric wheelchair, was robbed of her handbag by a man riding a bike.
• Saturday, November 4 around 2.45pm in Grove Walk, near Ipswich Road, where a woman, aged in her 80s, has been pulled to the ground by an unknown man before her leather handbag was stolen.
• Sunday, November 5 around 10.35am in Angel Road, where a man riding a bike stole a bag from a woman in her 70s.
• Wednesday, November 8 around 10.20am on Adelaide Street, off Dereham Road, where a woman, aged in her 80s, had her handbag stolen from her by a man riding a bike.
• Witnesses or anyone with information should contact DC Emma Gray on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
• UPDATE: A man in his 40s has been arrested in connection with the crimes. He has been taken to Wymondham Police Investigation Centre where he will be questioned.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Norwich Evening News. Click the link in the orange box above for details.