Armed police hunt for man after attack near Zak's restaurant
- Credit: Archant
Armed police are searching for a suspect in a wooded area of Norwich following a serious assault which left a man in need of hospital treatment.
Shortly before 1.15pm police were called to Gurney Road in Norwich, near Zak's, after a man suffered serious leg injuries in an assault.
The car park of the restaurant at Mousehold was filled with police cars following the incident with armed officers on the scene, searching for a suspect who fled the scene.
A spokesman for Norfolk Constabulary said: "The victim, a man in his 40s, suffered serious injuries to his leg and was taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital for further treatment.
"No arrests have been made but enquiries are ongoing."
Officers remain on the scene searching for the male suspect and a seal has been put in place around the restaurant and its car park.
A man parked on Gurney Road said he had seen armed police officers arrive in numbers and that drones had been used as part of the search.
- 1 End of an era as Debenhams closes in Norwich
- 2 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 3 Dinomania tour heading to Norfolk with giant dinosaurs that move
- 4 Burst water main causes water shortage in Norwich
- 5 See penthouse views from Norwich rooftop listed for sale for £1.65m
- 6 7 cheap or free things to do in Norfolk this weekend
- 7 Residents' anger at Deliveroo motorcycle drivers using pavement shortcut
- 8 Weekend of two halves - city pubs packed on Sunday after Saturday washout
- 9 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 10 Norwich City Council Elections 2021 - Labour keep control of City Hall
He said: "I have no idea what happened but police arrived in droves, some of them were armed and the drone was up."
As of around 3.30pm there were still eight police cars in the car park, along with one of the constabulary's vans parked further up the road.
Police say officers will likely be in the area for some time, but as of around 7pm the cordon had been lifted.