Appeal after Mulbarton church damage
A south Norfolk church has suffered thousands of pounds worth of damage after vandals smashed some of its window panes overnight on New Year's Eve.
Several leaded panes were damaged by unknown means at St Mary Magdalene Church, in Mulbarton.
Although none of the windows contained stained glass, the rector of Mulbarton, the Rev Jess Stubenbord, said the damage could cost about �2,000 to repair.
He said: 'It's disappointing. Obviously we do not know who did it, whether it was younger or older people. You expect it to be younger people.
'We have tried to build a rapport with them so it's a shame.
You may also want to watch:
'The insurers have taken it up but we have an excess of �250 to pay, which we would have liked to put to other things.'
Mr Stubenbord added that the biggest worry now was making sure the church remained heated for services. Officials have been leaving the heating on overnight to keep the temperatures up following the damage.
- 1 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students
- 2 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 3 'The final straw' - Bakery fears closure over council plans
- 4 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 5 'Dream come true': Norwich restaurant wins national award
- 6 Diversions in place on A47 near Norwich due to flooding
- 7 Mum's pleas to move house denied despite GP's concerns over wellbeing
- 8 Norwich man wanted by police
- 9 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
- 10 See inside this quirky bungalow for sale near Norwich railway station
A police spokesman said officers were currently investigating the offence and appealed for anyone who witnessed the vandalism or saw anything suspicious at the time to come forward.
The attack took place between 4pm on New Year's Eve and 10am the following day.
Those with information should contact PCSO Darrin Sore of the Hethersett and Mulbarton Safer Neighbourhood Team on 0845 456 4567 or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Are vandals making your life a misery? Call reporter David Freezer on 01603 772418 or email email@example.com