Everything you need to know about the Norwich shooting
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
A major police operation has been launched following a shooting in Norwich. Here is everything you need to know about the shooting.
When did it happen?
Police were called at 2am on Wednesday June 27 after local residents heard gunshots.
Where did it happen?
The shooting happened in Norwich in a wooded area cornered by Adelaide Street and West End Street.
Who was shot?
You may also want to watch:
The victim was a 19-year-old male from London.
What his condition?
- 1 Reaction to plans for new Norwich Block entertainment venue
- 2 Excitement as city pub reopens after 18-month closure
- 3 New 170-place school likely to get go-ahead
- 4 Woman hit with £900 vet bill after dog gets 'stoned' on park cannabis stash
- 5 Nut allergy fears spark battle for 'landmark' walnut tree
- 6 Tributes pour in for 'much loved lady' after body found
- 7 Costa Coffee to close Norwich high street cafe
- 8 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault
- 9 Pupils demand cycle lane as NDR sends 1200 cars their way during rush hour
- 10 The moment drugs squad smashes down a suspected dealer's door
He was taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital where he remains in a serious condition although his injuries are not believed to be life threatening.
Have any arrests been made?
Not at this stage.
Is there a risk to the wider public?
No. Supt Roger Wiltshire reassured members of the community following the shooting and said 'we do not believe there is any risk to the wider public following this incident'.
What have local residents said about the shooting?
A number of people have said the area where the incident happened is rife with crime. One Adelaide Street resident, 29, said the shooting was 'awful'. 'I walk my dog down in that park regularly and it is a bit rough in there. It has got worse and I actively see people dealing drugs in there regularly. It is pretty awful and it's worrying in general.'
And Colin Keatley, landlord of the Fat Cat pub on the corner of Nelson Street and West End Street, said the park where the shooting occurred was 'the major problem in the area'.
'Obviously people are dealing drugs in there because it is rife everywhere,' he said. 'You never see children playing in there. It is empty most of the time because it is dark and it worries people who are walking through.'
What should I do if I have any information about the shooting?
Anyone with information about the incident should contact Norfolk Constabulary on 101 quoting CAD reference 23.