A former Attleborough mayor is recovering after being shot.

Tony Crouch, who served in the role from 2019 to 2020, was shot with an air rifle on Monday morning, the council has confirmed. The incident is being investigated by police.

Mr Crouch was still a serving councillor and the dramatic news was disclosed to stunned fellow members at a meeting of Attleborough Town Council last night.

At the start of proceedings - as members discussed who was present - Mr Crouch's absence was noted by the current mayor, Philip Leslie.

Another councillor, Anthony Busk, said that the former mayor had intended to be there but was unable to attend, because "he was shot".

Mr Busk said: "Tony Crouch is in hospital this morning. He was shot."

He added: "The reason he's not here, he intended to be here, was this morning, somebody shot him and he's in hospital."

The mayor, Phillip Leslie, questioned whether Mr Busk should disclose such information.

However, in a further twist, Mr Leslie then went on to explain that Mr Crouch was actually being removed from the council because he had not attended a meeting for six months.

He added: "As of January 6, 2022 councillor Crouch had not attended a meeting for six months.

"Prior to this meeting, he had already expired past the point where he could represent as a councillor."

When a councillor fails to attend a council meeting for six consecutive months under the local government act 1972 they stop being a member of the authority.

Speaking this morning, Mr Leslie confirmed he had been contacted by police about the incident.

He said: "I have been contacted by the police that he was shot with an air rifle yesterday.

"The police wanted to assure me that there is no risk to the general public and a suspect has been apprehended and the investigation is ongoing but the matter is unrelated to him being a councillor."

Mr Leslie said Mr Crouch had not contacted the council about the incident nor had he given any reason for not attending meetings.

We have been unable to contact Mr Crouch for comment.

Norfolk police confirmed they were sent to an incident on Carver's Lane shortly after 9.15am on Monday, January 10, following reports a man had been shot in the arm with an air rifle.

A spokeswoman said: "Officers attended and following searches a man in his 20s was arrested nearby on suspicion GBH and possession of a firearm and has been taken to Wymondham Police Investigation Centre for questioning.

"Paramedics also attended and the victim, a man in his 60s, was taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital for treatment. His injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.

"Investigations continue."

As of this 1pm this afternoon police were still on the scene and two properties have been cordoned off.