Couple to take a leap for grandparents they lost
- Credit: Archant
A couple who both lost grandparents to cancer are preparing to skydive in summer to raise funds for the disease.
Sadie De Boer, 19, and her partner Paul Newman, 30, will take the leap in July in memory of their family.
The brave plans started two years ago after Miss De Boer's family had their first brush with cancer.
'About two years ago my step mum's mother died of breast cancer, which gave me the idea of doing a sky dive, but I never got round to it,' she said.
Then, in November last year, tragedy struck again after granddad Alastair Campbell was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.
You may also want to watch:
Within a month, the 69-year-old had died.
Miss De Boer said that she 'missed him terribly' and became determined to do something to help.
- 1 Mayhem at some petrol pumps - but how are other city garages faring?
- 2 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
- 3 Monster rats 'the size of cats' invade city - and get in via the LOO
- 4 New café serves a hundred customers in two hours on opening day
- 5 'Untouchable': People tell how Norwich killer left them in fear of their safety
- 6 This is where you can park for free in Norwich
- 7 Mayhem across city as drivers race to the petrol pumps
- 8 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 9 Six new cafes and shops coming to Norwich
- 10 WATCH: Bus and cyclist skip red light in city
She said: 'My granddad lived in Scotland so unfortunately I didn't get to see him as much as I would have liked, but we were close.'
The recruitment consultant added that she was inspired by her grandmother's fundraising efforts.
At Mr Campbell's funeral, the popular nan started her own fundraising campaign and even managed to raise £2,000 on the day.
When she and Mr Newman, a welder and fabricator, met in December, their mutual loss cemented the idea of taking the plunge.
'My partner had lost his Nan too, so we decided it was something both of us wanted to do in memory of the ones we love,' she added.
Mr Newman's 78-year-old grandmother, Eva Reynolds, died in 2007 after being diagnosed with cancer to the lining of the lung.
With the idea in place, the young couple started fundraising and fixed the date for the jump - July 14, just a few days after they both celebrate birthdays.
Miss De Boer said that although her partner is excited at the thought of taking the plunge, she is starting to feel the nerves.
'I'm not the best with heights,' she said. 'It's only just starting to sink in as we get a bit closer.'
The couple said that their aim is to raise awareness of how 'unexpected and awful' the disease is.
So far, they have raised over £1,000 and hope to reach their target of £1500.
To donate, visit http://www.justgiving.com/Sadie-De-Boer or http://www.justgiving.com/Paul-Newman9 or text SLDB94 followed by the amount to 70070 to for Miss De Boer and NEWM83 for Mr Newman.
Do you have a fundraising story? We'd like to hear from you. Email firstname.lastname@example.org