Couple to take a leap for grandparents they lost
- Credit: Archant
A couple who both lost grandparents to cancer are preparing to skydive in summer to raise funds for the disease.
Sadie De Boer, 19, and her partner Paul Newman, 30, will take the leap in July in memory of their family.
The brave plans started two years ago after Miss De Boer's family had their first brush with cancer.
'About two years ago my step mum's mother died of breast cancer, which gave me the idea of doing a sky dive, but I never got round to it,' she said.
Then, in November last year, tragedy struck again after granddad Alastair Campbell was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.
You may also want to watch:
Within a month, the 69-year-old had died.
Miss De Boer said that she 'missed him terribly' and became determined to do something to help.
- 1 Revealed: How much to rent former high street store
- 2 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 3 Driver taken to hospital after four-car crash on key road into Norwich
- 4 No more action against teenager arrested after fatal Thorpe stabbing
- 5 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 6 Robbers knock out boy, 14, and steal trainers from his feet
- 7 Unlikely new use for city's Samson and Hercules building
- 8 Suspect identified in search for elderly man who undressed in park
- 9 'Fantastic' new hospital ward welcomes first patients
- 10 Power cut fix delayed due to tree branch stuck in overhead lines
She said: 'My granddad lived in Scotland so unfortunately I didn't get to see him as much as I would have liked, but we were close.'
The recruitment consultant added that she was inspired by her grandmother's fundraising efforts.
At Mr Campbell's funeral, the popular nan started her own fundraising campaign and even managed to raise £2,000 on the day.
When she and Mr Newman, a welder and fabricator, met in December, their mutual loss cemented the idea of taking the plunge.
'My partner had lost his Nan too, so we decided it was something both of us wanted to do in memory of the ones we love,' she added.
Mr Newman's 78-year-old grandmother, Eva Reynolds, died in 2007 after being diagnosed with cancer to the lining of the lung.
With the idea in place, the young couple started fundraising and fixed the date for the jump - July 14, just a few days after they both celebrate birthdays.
Miss De Boer said that although her partner is excited at the thought of taking the plunge, she is starting to feel the nerves.
'I'm not the best with heights,' she said. 'It's only just starting to sink in as we get a bit closer.'
The couple said that their aim is to raise awareness of how 'unexpected and awful' the disease is.
So far, they have raised over £1,000 and hope to reach their target of £1500.
To donate, visit http://www.justgiving.com/Sadie-De-Boer or http://www.justgiving.com/Paul-Newman9 or text SLDB94 followed by the amount to 70070 to for Miss De Boer and NEWM83 for Mr Newman.
Do you have a fundraising story? We'd like to hear from you. Email firstname.lastname@example.org