Costessey drivers targeted in police crackdown
Kim BriscoeMore than 65 vehicles were stopped in Costessey for a series of roadside checks.Kim Briscoe
More than 65 vehicles were stopped in Costessey for a series of roadside checks.
Police in Bowthorpe and Costessey teamed up with partner agencies to target vehicle defects and detect red diesel.
Checks that were carried out along Dereham Road included vehicle defect and road fuel tests. Officers also checked driving licences, MOT certificates, insurance and tax.
The day, which was organised to educate drivers and enforce the law, resulted in twelve tachograph offences, eight prohibition notices for a variety of offences such as poor quality tyre conditions and faulty ABS warning lamps.
You may also want to watch:
A number of verbal warnings were also given for minor offences. No red diesel was found in any of the vehicles tested.
Bowthorpe and Costessey Safer Neighbourhood Team PC Andy Tomlinson said: 'Drivers who were stopped by police and partner agencies were very cooperative.
- 1 Calls to stop major development in expanding village
- 2 Streets in Norwich close for car-free day
- 3 The roadworks you need to know about in Norwich this week
- 4 Impact of T-Rex trail revealed as sculptures leave city
- 5 'A very easy Brexit win' - Traders have say on imperial measures change
- 6 Man arrested after assaulting three police officers outside Popworld
- 7 Warning to others after mum breaks leg using park zip wire
- 8 New sculpture trail launched for park near Norwich
- 9 Bus routes affected by driver shortages in Norwich
- 10 What 45,000 new homes will mean for our city
'We received positive feedback from the local community as well as farmers, builders and local businesses.
'We hope to run another roadside impact day in the neighbourhood with our partners to make sure vehicles are safe and legal to drive.'
Organisations involved in the stop checks included HMRC road fuel testers, VOSA, Bowthorpe and Costessey Safer Neighbourhood Team, Special Constabulary, Road Policing and Operation Radar.
To contact Bowthorpe and Costessey Safer Neighbourhood Team call 0845 456 4567 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.