Costessey drivers targeted in police crackdown
Kim BriscoeMore than 65 vehicles were stopped in Costessey for a series of roadside checks.Kim Briscoe
More than 65 vehicles were stopped in Costessey for a series of roadside checks.
Police in Bowthorpe and Costessey teamed up with partner agencies to target vehicle defects and detect red diesel.
Checks that were carried out along Dereham Road included vehicle defect and road fuel tests. Officers also checked driving licences, MOT certificates, insurance and tax.
The day, which was organised to educate drivers and enforce the law, resulted in twelve tachograph offences, eight prohibition notices for a variety of offences such as poor quality tyre conditions and faulty ABS warning lamps.
A number of verbal warnings were also given for minor offences. No red diesel was found in any of the vehicles tested.
Bowthorpe and Costessey Safer Neighbourhood Team PC Andy Tomlinson said: 'Drivers who were stopped by police and partner agencies were very cooperative.
- 1 Walker furious as beauty spot 'ruined' by bush chopping
- 2 City schools to share one site as building returned to council
- 3 House of horrors: Is this the worst council property in Norwich?
- 4 Burger off! Petition launched to scrap new McDonald's plan
- 5 Tourist slapped with £100 parking fine for cash machine stop
- 6 Five of Norwich's best takeaways according to our readers
- 7 New beer and burrito bar opens in city centre
- 8 Petition supporting Western Link gains hundreds of signatures
- 9 Police on hand as anti-vaccine protesters gather in city
- 10 Mum describes heartache year on from daughter's tragic death
'We received positive feedback from the local community as well as farmers, builders and local businesses.
'We hope to run another roadside impact day in the neighbourhood with our partners to make sure vehicles are safe and legal to drive.'
Organisations involved in the stop checks included HMRC road fuel testers, VOSA, Bowthorpe and Costessey Safer Neighbourhood Team, Special Constabulary, Road Policing and Operation Radar.
To contact Bowthorpe and Costessey Safer Neighbourhood Team call 0845 456 4567 or email email@example.com.