Costessey drivers targeted in police crackdown
Kim BriscoeMore than 65 vehicles were stopped in Costessey for a series of roadside checks.Kim Briscoe
More than 65 vehicles were stopped in Costessey for a series of roadside checks.
Police in Bowthorpe and Costessey teamed up with partner agencies to target vehicle defects and detect red diesel.
Checks that were carried out along Dereham Road included vehicle defect and road fuel tests. Officers also checked driving licences, MOT certificates, insurance and tax.
The day, which was organised to educate drivers and enforce the law, resulted in twelve tachograph offences, eight prohibition notices for a variety of offences such as poor quality tyre conditions and faulty ABS warning lamps.
You may also want to watch:
A number of verbal warnings were also given for minor offences. No red diesel was found in any of the vehicles tested.
Bowthorpe and Costessey Safer Neighbourhood Team PC Andy Tomlinson said: 'Drivers who were stopped by police and partner agencies were very cooperative.
- 1 Woman taken to hospital after police incident in Norwich
- 2 Eager shoppers queue for opening of 20-year-old's vintage clothing shop
- 3 Man, 47, in court on murder charge after Thorpe stabbing
- 4 Man due in court charged with murder after fatal stabbing in Thorpe
- 5 Story behind this famous photo of when Norwich went electric in 1957
- 6 Pet carer service's appeal to survive after Covid and faulty van struggles
- 7 Man detained under mental health act after Norwich disturbance
- 8 City beer gardens heaving as lockdown eases and Norwich City promoted
- 9 Two Norwich fish and chip shops named among top 50 in the country
- 10 Public invited to have say on plans to convert derelict pub
'We received positive feedback from the local community as well as farmers, builders and local businesses.
'We hope to run another roadside impact day in the neighbourhood with our partners to make sure vehicles are safe and legal to drive.'
Organisations involved in the stop checks included HMRC road fuel testers, VOSA, Bowthorpe and Costessey Safer Neighbourhood Team, Special Constabulary, Road Policing and Operation Radar.
To contact Bowthorpe and Costessey Safer Neighbourhood Team call 0845 456 4567 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.