Costessey drivers targeted in police crackdown
Kim BriscoeMore than 65 vehicles were stopped in Costessey for a series of roadside checks.Kim Briscoe
More than 65 vehicles were stopped in Costessey for a series of roadside checks.
Police in Bowthorpe and Costessey teamed up with partner agencies to target vehicle defects and detect red diesel.
Checks that were carried out along Dereham Road included vehicle defect and road fuel tests. Officers also checked driving licences, MOT certificates, insurance and tax.
The day, which was organised to educate drivers and enforce the law, resulted in twelve tachograph offences, eight prohibition notices for a variety of offences such as poor quality tyre conditions and faulty ABS warning lamps.
You may also want to watch:
A number of verbal warnings were also given for minor offences. No red diesel was found in any of the vehicles tested.
Bowthorpe and Costessey Safer Neighbourhood Team PC Andy Tomlinson said: 'Drivers who were stopped by police and partner agencies were very cooperative.
- 1 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 2 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 3 Police still at scene of daylight knife attack
- 4 Hethersett student offered place at prestigious music school
- 5 Work under way to build new Lidl alongside NDR
- 6 Traffic shake-ups put forward for four roads in Norwich
- 7 Office plan revealed for part of disused city pub
- 8 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 9 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 10 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
'We received positive feedback from the local community as well as farmers, builders and local businesses.
'We hope to run another roadside impact day in the neighbourhood with our partners to make sure vehicles are safe and legal to drive.'
Organisations involved in the stop checks included HMRC road fuel testers, VOSA, Bowthorpe and Costessey Safer Neighbourhood Team, Special Constabulary, Road Policing and Operation Radar.
To contact Bowthorpe and Costessey Safer Neighbourhood Team call 0845 456 4567 or email email@example.com.