Cooking up some help for Haiti
Sam EmanuelA group of schoolgirls in Mattishall have been cooking up a fundraising recipe for success with a cake sale for the other children to raise money for people in Haiti.Sam Emanuel
A group of schoolgirls in Mattishall have been cooking up a fundraising recipe for success with a cake sale for the other children to raise money for people in Haiti.
The Year 6 girls at Mattishall Primary School took it upon themselves to organise a cake sale after learning about the desperate situation in the earthquake-hit country.
Maxine Wood, the school's headteacher, said she was delighted with the pro-active attitude of the girls, Kristina, Emily, Megan, Janete and Chloe, which raised a total of �290.
She said: 'Last Wednesday, a group of five girls in our Year 6 class organised a cake sale for charity, and the parents and children sent in cakes for it for them to sell to the junior children. We gave them permission but they did it completely independently with no outside help.
You may also want to watch:
'It was such a success that they decided to do another one for the infant children, and any that were left over they sold to parents in the playground after school.
'The junior children have talked about Haiti in class and assemblies, and some of them had seen some coverage on the news of a boy being rescued from the remains of a building, and I think that is what inspired them.'
- 1 Cannabis factory uncovered in former bar in Norwich's clubland
- 2 Team behind Norwich restaurants reopen closed hotel
- 3 Norwich pub welcomes eight new street food vendors
- 4 Heron dies after being shot six times with air gun in Norwich
- 5 Council to force landowners to sell so £1.3m roundabout can be built
- 6 Restaurant boss U-turn after row over trial shift pay
- 7 £1.3m property for sale on one of most popular roads in Norwich
- 8 Police swoop after £400k cocaine parcel delivered to Norwich house
- 9 Pair led to safety after 'taking refuge' in fire-hit house
- 10 Pedestrian crossing must be in before Aldi store is built, say officers