Cooking up some help for Haiti
Sam EmanuelA group of schoolgirls in Mattishall have been cooking up a fundraising recipe for success with a cake sale for the other children to raise money for people in Haiti.Sam Emanuel
A group of schoolgirls in Mattishall have been cooking up a fundraising recipe for success with a cake sale for the other children to raise money for people in Haiti.
The Year 6 girls at Mattishall Primary School took it upon themselves to organise a cake sale after learning about the desperate situation in the earthquake-hit country.
Maxine Wood, the school's headteacher, said she was delighted with the pro-active attitude of the girls, Kristina, Emily, Megan, Janete and Chloe, which raised a total of �290.
She said: 'Last Wednesday, a group of five girls in our Year 6 class organised a cake sale for charity, and the parents and children sent in cakes for it for them to sell to the junior children. We gave them permission but they did it completely independently with no outside help.
'It was such a success that they decided to do another one for the infant children, and any that were left over they sold to parents in the playground after school.
'The junior children have talked about Haiti in class and assemblies, and some of them had seen some coverage on the news of a boy being rescued from the remains of a building, and I think that is what inspired them.'
- 1 Supporters' fears that Spurs game at Carrow Road may turn nasty
- 2 Finishing touches added to new Tesco store in city centre
- 3 Norwich cocktail bar and restaurant relaunches with new name and menu
- 4 The top 7 fish and chip shops in Norwich according to Tripadvisor
- 5 Nursery confirms closure following financial battle
- 6 'I'm considering living on a boat because houses are so expensive'
- 7 Two men charged in connection with Class A drug dealing in Norwich
- 8 Man arrested after hundreds of cannabis plants seized in city
- 9 Everything you need to know about the Sweet Briar Road closure
- 10 Fashion boutique to shut with FOUR MONTH closing down sale