Colman’s Mustard Shop goes back to the seventies
A shop in Norwich has been turning back the clocks by celebrating the disco era of the seventies.
Colman's Mustard Shop and Museum, originally opened in Bridewell Alley, first opened its doors in 1973 and paid homage to the decade by organising a day of fancy dress and special festive treats yesterday.
Nick Cook, retail business manager, said: 'Last year's Victorian Christmas event was such a huge success that we are once again putting on a festive event which goes back in time and celebrates our roots in Norwich.
'This is a great opportunity for people to get into the festive spirit and snap up some Christmas gifts.'
The staff donned themed costumes, which included flares and Afro's, retro snacks and sweets were also on offer, while seventies Christmas music set the atmosphere.
You may also want to watch:
Adding to re-creation of the era, some Colman's products were on offer at their original seventies prices, which included 2oz bags of powdered mustard priced at only 45p per bag.
Mr Cook said: 'We've had one or two strange looks from people who don't quite know what's going on, but I think the customers have been really pleased.
- 1 New hope for Open building as talks over future revealed
- 2 Restaurant boss U-turn after row over trial shift pay
- 3 Third time lucky? Couple's plea after dream wedding day cancelled again
- 4 Family lose 'lifeline' van in fire
- 5 Partner pays tribute to 'love of my life' after Thorpe stabbing
- 6 Pedestrian crossing must be in before Aldi store is built, say officers
- 7 £1.3m property for sale on one of most popular roads in Norwich
- 8 Man kicked victim in head like 'taking football penalty'
- 9 Team behind Norwich restaurants reopen closed hotel
- 10 Cannabis factory uncovered in former bar in Norwich's clubland
'People can come and chill out from their hectic Christmas shopping and that is what the shop is all about.'
The shop also contains many historical items which cover all aspects of the history and production of mustard in Norwich and was opened to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Colman's, which was first born in 1814.
The shop is now owned by charity Norwich HEART, which took it over in August 2009 after a successful campaign by Norwich Evening News to keep the shop open.
Are you celebrating a special anniversary? Contact Donna-Louise Bishop on 01603 772438 or email email@example.com.