Colman’s Mustard Shop goes back to the seventies
A shop in Norwich has been turning back the clocks by celebrating the disco era of the seventies.
Colman's Mustard Shop and Museum, originally opened in Bridewell Alley, first opened its doors in 1973 and paid homage to the decade by organising a day of fancy dress and special festive treats yesterday.
Nick Cook, retail business manager, said: 'Last year's Victorian Christmas event was such a huge success that we are once again putting on a festive event which goes back in time and celebrates our roots in Norwich.
'This is a great opportunity for people to get into the festive spirit and snap up some Christmas gifts.'
The staff donned themed costumes, which included flares and Afro's, retro snacks and sweets were also on offer, while seventies Christmas music set the atmosphere.
You may also want to watch:
Adding to re-creation of the era, some Colman's products were on offer at their original seventies prices, which included 2oz bags of powdered mustard priced at only 45p per bag.
Mr Cook said: 'We've had one or two strange looks from people who don't quite know what's going on, but I think the customers have been really pleased.
- 1 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students
- 2 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 3 'The final straw' - Bakery fears closure over council plans
- 4 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 5 'Dream come true': Norwich restaurant wins national award
- 6 Diversions in place on A47 near Norwich due to flooding
- 7 Norwich man wanted by police
- 8 Mum's pleas to move house denied despite GP's concerns over wellbeing
- 9 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
- 10 See inside this quirky bungalow for sale near Norwich railway station
'People can come and chill out from their hectic Christmas shopping and that is what the shop is all about.'
The shop also contains many historical items which cover all aspects of the history and production of mustard in Norwich and was opened to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Colman's, which was first born in 1814.
The shop is now owned by charity Norwich HEART, which took it over in August 2009 after a successful campaign by Norwich Evening News to keep the shop open.
Are you celebrating a special anniversary? Contact Donna-Louise Bishop on 01603 772438 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.