Closed Norwich pub set to reopen
Yet another Norwich pub has closed – but regulars need not despair as it is set to re-open next month after a refurbishment.
The Ten Bells in St Benedict's Street closed its doors to customers on May 5 but regulars will not have to wait long to get back into their local with the Greene King-owned pub re-opening on June 3.
Stuart Laidlaw, manager of the pub, said the Ten Bells will retain its name but will have a new sign and a fresher, cleaner look, both inside and out.
He said: 'It's a historic name that has been connected to this city since the 1700s so we're keeping the name but are just looking to spruce up the inside a bit and are having a refurbishment done over the next few weeks.'
The pub's much-loved red phone box will remain inside after the refurbishment which will see part of the building transformed into a whisky bar.
Mr Laidlaw, who revealed live music would continue, said he hoped to retain many of the pub's loyal regulars as well as attracting a new clientele interested in sampling a range of whiskies, bourbons and spirits.
He said: 'We definitely want to keep the people who have been coming into the Ten Bells and supporting it for the past few years – it's got a group of loyal customers who love the live music and friendly atmosphere – but want to bring in new customers as well.
- 1 Greater Anglia application to demolish train station building thrown out
- 2 Load of Bull! Anger as Red Bull ramps up threat against Norwich gin firm
- 3 It's going down! Demolition of car showroom begins to make way for homes
- 4 'How I made four million flipping council houses into luxury student digs'
- 5 What is this mystery tower that has sprung up in Norwich?
- 6 Drunk student crashed into hotel wall after drinking tequilas
- 7 Two Norwich shops named among UK's best independent stores
- 8 Doctors baffled by teenager's horrific long Covid symptoms
- 9 REVEALED: Hotspots in Norwich with the most burglaries
- 10 Woman hunts venue for 200 people and Madness tribute after The Talk shuts
'The back bar, in keeping with our interest in single malt scotch, will be shaped like the inside of a barrel.'
A Greene King spokesman said: 'We can confirm that The Ten Bells in Norwich is due to re-open at the beginning of June, following an extensive refurbishment. It will re-open with a new licensee, who looks forward to welcoming back both old and new customers.'
The refurbishment of the Ten Bells pub will provide yet another boost to St Benedict's Street which has been enjoying something of a renaissance in recent times.
In April last year the Evening News reported how the 16th-century Plough on St Benedict's was being re-opened by Norfolk brewery Grain. The Plough, which became Alburgh-based Grain Brewery's first pub, was nominated in this year's Evening News' Pub of the Year Awards.
The Evening News has urged locals to support their local pub as part of its Love Your Local campaign. For more information visit www.eveningnews24.co.uk/loveyour local
Which is your favourite pub? Evening News reporter David Bale is checking out the best in the city. Watch out for his latest Pub of the Week column in Monday's Evening News.