Closed Hellesdon pub to reopen this month
Another Hellesdon pub is on the verge of reopening following a major refurbishment – giving drinkers in the area more reasons to celebrate after it was also confirmed the Bull was to open its doors again by the end of next month.
The Falcon, in Cromer Road, owned by Enterprise Inns, was boarded up last month, prompting fears it could close and leave Hellesdon with just one pub, The Whiffler, following the closure of The Bull in April and The Firs last year.
But the closure was only temporary, to allow an upgrade to take place, and The Falcon will reopen for business on Saturday.
A spokesman for Enterprise Inns said: 'After we've done a refurbishment internally and externally, and got a new publican, it's due to open on July 30.'
It is the second boost for Hellesdon pubs in just a couple of days following the announcement, revealed in yesterday's Evening News, that The Bull, which has been closed since April, would be reopening before the end of next month.
You may also want to watch:
Shelagh Gurney, a parish, district and county councillor for Hellesdon, said: 'It's great that Hellesdon has got some pubs back – let's hope that they're affordable.
'I wish them all the best and I think its very good for the community, and I hope the community supports the pubs, but I really feel they've got to be more competitive.'
- 1 New BBQ takeaway set to open in Norwich
- 2 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 3 'We will come back stronger': Norwich restaurant to close for rebranding
- 4 To cross or not to cross? Pledge to trim back danger hedge at blind corner
- 5 'We do everything correctly': Norwich takeaway handed one star hygiene rating
- 6 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 7 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
- 8 'Sneaky and selfish' changes to bus route slammed
- 9 Inconvenience store: Family business blighted by roadworks
- 10 Diggers roll into village as work begins on 267 home development
The Bull shut its doors in April when then landlord Patrick Cutter quit after failing to reach an agreement with Enterprise Inns over a rent review.
Since then, the Reepham Road pub has been targeted by vandals and Norwich North MP Chloe Smith led a campaign to get it reopened as soon as possible. Ms Smith said: 'It's good news to see The Falcon reopening as well as other pubs in the area. I wish it well.'
The closure of The Bull and The Falcon followed the closure of The Firs last year, which opened as a Tesco Express store in April.
Built in 1933, the Firs pub was closely linked with the Firs Stadium that hosted the Norwich Stars speedway team and attracted many thousands of visitors.
The Evening News has been urging customers to support pubs as part of our Love Your Local campaign. For more stories or to find out more visit www.eveningnews24.co.uk/ loveyourlocal.
Have you got a story for the campaign? Call reporter Peter Walsh on 01603 772436 or email firstname.lastname@example.org