City College student’s hospitality award win makes him one to watch for the future
- Credit: Archant
Sam Masters, 24, from Shotesham All Saints, took home the Aspiring Hospitality Manager Student Award at the Institute of Hospitality London in a ceremony at Wivenhoe House in Colchester on November 7.
The Hospitality, Tourism and Event Management student will now receive coaching to help him launch a career in the industry as part of his prize.
'I was shocked when my name was read out at the awards ceremony, I really didn't expect to win and it was nice to be acknowledged.
'Winning this award is a great platform to work off and has already given me the opportunity to network and meet people from within the hospitality industry.
'It's given me a confidence boost, the people I was up against from the other schools have got such a reputation I didn't think I stood a chance
'I've been lucky with the opportunities the college has given me. If there's an opportunity you might as well grab it and go for it.'
Mr Masters, who juggles his studies with a job at The Assembly House, seized a range of opportunities at the college, inlcuding helping serve afternoon tea to the Queen at Sandringham and acting as General Manager of the Holiday Inn Norwich North for a day.
- 1 City teen gets celebrity backing for prom dress
- 2 Class A drugs seized from three men in city woods
- 3 Pub closes for £5,000 refurb to enable it to serve drinks faster
- 4 Restaurant with 'interactive dining experience' to open in Norwich
- 5 City chip shop might be SINKING but refuses to close
- 6 Plea to get 5ft mega bush axed from busy pavement
- 7 'We just want to hold our son' - Plea for help to bring miracle baby home
- 8 Waiting game over fate of housing bid for former school playing field
- 9 Country pub announces closure due to rising costs
- 10 Teen slapped with six points on licence - but she can't even drive
Lecturer in the School of Higher Education at City College Norwich Phil Nash said: 'Sam is a remarkable student and thoroughly deserves the recognition of this award.
'His thirst for knowledge has never faltered and his commitment to the hospitality industry is commendable.
'His management potential is still to be fully tapped and he will undoubtedly be a name to watch out for in the future.'
Do you know a local student achieving national awards success we should feature? Email us on email@example.com.