City College student’s hospitality award win makes him one to watch for the future
- Credit: Archant
Sam Masters, 24, from Shotesham All Saints, took home the Aspiring Hospitality Manager Student Award at the Institute of Hospitality London in a ceremony at Wivenhoe House in Colchester on November 7.
The Hospitality, Tourism and Event Management student will now receive coaching to help him launch a career in the industry as part of his prize.
'I was shocked when my name was read out at the awards ceremony, I really didn't expect to win and it was nice to be acknowledged.
'Winning this award is a great platform to work off and has already given me the opportunity to network and meet people from within the hospitality industry.
'It's given me a confidence boost, the people I was up against from the other schools have got such a reputation I didn't think I stood a chance
You may also want to watch:
'I've been lucky with the opportunities the college has given me. If there's an opportunity you might as well grab it and go for it.'
Mr Masters, who juggles his studies with a job at The Assembly House, seized a range of opportunities at the college, inlcuding helping serve afternoon tea to the Queen at Sandringham and acting as General Manager of the Holiday Inn Norwich North for a day.
- 1 Police probe launched after video shows officer kick out
- 2 Queues and pump closures continue across city
- 3 Mum shares heartbreaking poems penned by daughter before death
- 4 Man took sword and axe to confront ex-wife's new partner
- 5 Traffic delays as drivers continue to queue for petrol
- 6 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 7 'Goth' mum heckled in street hits back at haters
- 8 'It's looking bleak' - City taxi firms respond to panic-buying at the pumps
- 9 Noise concerns spark more than 40 objections to new city venue bid
- 10 Controversy reignited over 300 home scheme on edge of Norwich
Lecturer in the School of Higher Education at City College Norwich Phil Nash said: 'Sam is a remarkable student and thoroughly deserves the recognition of this award.
'His thirst for knowledge has never faltered and his commitment to the hospitality industry is commendable.
'His management potential is still to be fully tapped and he will undoubtedly be a name to watch out for in the future.'
Do you know a local student achieving national awards success we should feature? Email us on email@example.com.