City College Norwich students take gold and silver in national competition
Two computing students from City College Norwich have won gold and silver medals in the final of the WorldSkills UK web design competition.
Marcus Craske, 18, of Thorpe St Andrew, surpassed his bronze medal achievement from last year by taking the gold, while George Mickleburgh, 17, from Taverham, claimed the silver medal at his first attempt.
Competitors had to design and build a healthy living website in two days and were scored both on their design work as well as their execution in building their websites.
Mr Craske, who plans to progress on to a computer science degree at UEA this autumn, said: 'To win gold, I didn't imagine it to be honest. The competition wasn't too stressful. I just got down and into it. The time was the main issue.'
Meanwhile, Mr Mickleburgh said that, while it was tough because of how much they had to do in two days, he felt fairly confident about his website.
You may also want to watch:
'But I wasn't really expecting to do that well in a national competition. I was really happy with it,' he added.
Computing lecturer Jaime Beaumont, who teaches the teenagers and helped them prepare for the final, said they had inspired him. 'Their dedication and the effort they have put into this have been phenomenal,' he said.
- 1 How Norwich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 2 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 3 'Eyesore' bus won't be removed despite neighbours' pleas
- 4 'Such a shame': Social media scammer targets Norwich pub
- 5 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 6 'Lives are at risk'-Patients' concerns over surgery appointment struggles
- 7 Tenant's despair as council fixes his windows by screwing them shut
- 8 One of Norwich's most photographed homes is up for sale
- 9 'Significant' amount of cash and electronics stolen from city home
- 10 All of Norwich's Christmas opening hours
'As a teacher it is a real pleasure to work with students like that.'
Dick Palmer, City College Norwich principal, said: 'It is a tremendous achievement by Marcus and George to come out in the top two in a competition between the country's brightest young web designers.'
Following their success, the teenagers could now be selected for international competitions and to represent the UK in the 2013 WorldSkills competition in Leipzig.
Have you got a story about Norwich students excelling in national competitions? Call Evening News reporter David Bale on 01603 772427 or email email@example.com