Area outside Primark in Norwich cordoned off after smoke comes through manhole cover
- Credit: Sophie Wyllie
Part of a city centre street outside a fashion store remains cordoned off after smoke was seen coming out of a manhole cover.
A pedestrian spotted the smoke on Haymarket, Norwich, outside Primark, at 7.30am on Thursday, October 8.
They called 999 and one crew from Carrow Fire Station was called, according to station manager Jim Banks.
He said no surrounding buildings were affected, shoppers could continue to go into Primark and surrounding stores, and no-one was injured.
Engineers from UK Power Networks and BT were also called to look at the manhole which contained cabling.
Mr Banks said: “The cordon will remain in place until investigations are complete. Hopefully everything will be back to normal soon.”
Firefighters left the scene at 10.20am when a smaller cordon was put around the manhole and the incident was left with BT engineers, according to a Norfolk Fire Service spokesperson.
- 1 High-flyer at school to heroin addict - City homeless man reveals his story
- 2 'I can't lose!' City fan places 150/1 bet on Canaries dismal scoring record
- 3 From mustard to postcodes: 15 things Norwich has given the world
- 4 'Covid has killed us' - 65-year-old Norwich venue The Talk to close
- 5 Cockapoo Café coming to Norwich next month
- 6 Staff and customers gutted after fire badly damages popular takeaway
- 7 Struggles to move out of Norfolk continue after school attack
- 8 Community on high alert after cars targeted in city suburbs
- 9 Traffic and infrastructure fears as major housing project starts
- 10 Man sentenced for two robberies in two days
A UK Power Networks spokesperson said: “UK Power Networks engineers turned off power for safety reasons to five customers on Haymarket in Norwich to repair an underground cable fault at 10am today (October 8). Work was completed and power restored to all five customers at 10.58am. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.”
Haymarket remains open to workers and visitors.