Christophe’s Crêpes opens first shop in Norwich
- Credit: Archant
The Norwich Lanes have always been a flipping brilliant place to eat, but the offering has now got even better thanks to new opening Christophe’s Crêpes.
Owners Chris and Lauren Smith, who live in Old Catton, already have a popular food van in nearby Davey Place, where they have been serving up sweet and savoury crêpes for eight years.
The couple had been trying to get a shop for a long time, so when they found out vegan café Tofurei was relocating from its Pottergate home to St Gregory’s Alley they jumped at the opportunity.
They are remaining in Davey Place, with Mr Smith insisting street food is still their “number one passion”, but the café in the Norwich Lanes will offer a new experience for customers with seating inside and outside.
Alongside traditional sweet flavours, such as lemon and sugar and Nutella, banana and strawberries, they also offer savoury options.
Mr Smith was always fed pancakes by his grandma Thelma when he was growing up and decided to start the business after being inspired by travels around Europe where he had eaten crêpes.
Mr Smith said: “My nan was one of the first to come down to the new shop so she could check everything was right and she is really proud.
- 1 Customers in shock as parking charges rack up at retail park
- 2 Neighbourhood bemused after garage turned into barber shop
- 3 Fire destroys roof of Norwich home
- 4 Protest planned as anger grows against 725 homes plan
- 5 City schools to share one site as building returned to council
- 6 House of horrors: Is this the worst council property in Norwich?
- 7 Five of Norwich's best takeaways according to our readers
- 8 New beer and burrito bar opens in city centre
- 9 Arrest after man found with large quantity of cannabis and lock knife
- 10 Former City defender Klose training with Championship club
“We always want to stay in Davey Place, but we know that customers want to sit down and eat our food too and we love putting it on plates.
“Through lockdown a lot of people thought I was mad to open a shop, but it had been going through my head for a long time and it was a case of now or never.”
In the new shop, a big focus is working with other local businesses and along with Strangers Coffee, based in Dove Street, there is ice cream from Norwich-based Ronaldo Ices.
Mr Smith added: “Obviously Nutella and lemons aren’t from Norfolk but anything we can we are keeping local.”
Christophe’s Crêpes is open 11am to 7pm Tuesday to Saturday, 11am to 5pm on Sundays and closed on Mondays.