Chinese themed club plan for Norwich
One of Norwich's busiest entertainment hotspots is set get another nightclub after plans for a Chinese-themed venue were lodged.
A Chinese-based business has applied for a change of use from financial services to nightclub at an empty office building in Prince of Wales Road.
The business, known as 'The 9 Club Ltd', is proposing a Chinese-themed nightclub based on an intimate style of small rooms, instead of a large open dance-style club.
Their plans include a small bar in the basement, a reception area on the ground floor and four small private function rooms on the first and second floors.
No-one from the business was available for comment, but information submitted on its behalf to Norwich City Council by agent, D J Designs Ltd, based at Postwick near Norwich, suggests it will offer something different.
You may also want to watch:
In a design and access statement, DJ Designs Ltd accepts that the new club, at No 37 Prince of Wales Road, would be located between two existing clubs. But it adds: 'However, this proposal is intended to provide a nightclub facility of a smaller, more intimate style, slightly different from existing clubs in the area, while at the same time locating a facility within an area that already caters for nightlife in Norwich so as not to impact on other areas of the city.'
The plans also include redecorating the front of the building in colours associated with Chinese good fortune – red and gold.
- 1 Woman taken to hospital after police incident in Norwich
- 2 Man, 47, in court on murder charge after Thorpe stabbing
- 3 Eager shoppers queue for opening of 20-year-old's vintage clothing shop
- 4 Long-suffering A11 drivers to benefit as 50-year-old road replaced
- 5 Influencer loses one-of-a-kind wedding ring at coast
- 6 Pet carer service's appeal to survive after Covid and faulty van struggles
- 7 Meat factory for sale for £1.2million earmarked for homes
- 8 Police and air ambulance called to major incident near Norwich
- 9 Story behind this famous photo of when Norwich went electric in 1957
- 10 £1.3m property for sale on one of most popular roads in Norwich
The planned site for the new club is currently an empty office building – formerly Crystal Clear financial solutions – and consists of a four-storey building with 224 sq m accommodation contained within a basement floor, ground floor and two upper floors. The proposal would also replace waste ground behind the building with a hard footpath and soft porous landscaping for the car parking.
Patrick Fisher, who owns and operates the Shoosh club in Prince of Wales Road, and Havana and Nowhere also in the city centre, said Norwich 'suffered somewhat from a lack of different-style bars and clubs'.
He said: 'In general, more bars and clubs are a good thing. The market place will find a level at which it feels comfortable. If bars and clubs are allowed to open in the right area, and are successful, that attracts more entrepreneurs into the city.'
Do you know about a new club or bar coming to Norwich? Call reporter David Bale on 01603 772427 or email email@example.com