Charity supports World Kidney Day in Norwich
Charity supporters have released 500 balloons, right, in Norwich city centre to raise awareness of kidney disease.
A crowd of people turned out to see the balloons released outside the Forum in Norwich for the charity Kidney Research UK.
It was to celebrate World Kidney Day and each balloon represented each kidney disease patient in Norfolk.
Pete Revell, community fundraising manager for Kidney Research UK, was joined by Sandy Lines OBE, chairman of the United Norwich Kidney Patients Association, and explained: 'It is not a lifestyle thing. Even the fittest of people can have kidney problems.
'Raising awareness at the event was absolutely brilliant. By having 500 purple balloons floating over the city, it really has been a great event. We've even managed to do a bit of fundraising. Around 180 people in the area need a transplant and 1,130 people in the area are receiving treatment for failed kidneys.'
NHS nurses from the Norfolk and Norwich University hospital were also on hand to carry out free blood pressure tests for members of the public, as high blood pressure is a major risk factor in the development of chronic kidney disease. Mr Revell added: 'We need more volunteers and more supporters to help us fly the flag and help raise money for Kidney Research UK.'
- 1 House of horrors: Is this the worst council property in Norwich?
- 2 'Fixer upper' lodge home goes up for sale near Norwich city centre
- 3 Store still cordoned off with police tape two months after break-in
- 4 'Not our fault' - City man hits back on abandoned caravan after land dispute
- 5 Burglars smash way into Patisserie Valerie and nab cash
- 6 Tourist slapped with £100 parking fine for cash machine stop
- 7 Burger off! Petition launched to scrap new McDonald's plan
- 8 Battered bus shelter wrapped in police tape after delivery van smash
- 9 'Please help': Family's plea for support for superfan Lily's funeral
- 10 John Lewis CCTV footage leads to Norwich gun arrests
For more information about how you can get involved in World Kidney Day and help to raise money for Kidney Research UK, please visit www.kidneyresearchuk.org.
Have you been organising an event to raise awareness of a charity? Contact reporter Donna-Louise Bishop at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01603 772438. photo: bill smith