Charity race day launched in Norwich
It was a racing car enthusiasts' dream with dozens of classic vehicles on display at the launch of a charity race day yesterday.
Leading businessmen in Norwich have joined forces to create a motor show at Snetterton on November 26 - with the aim of helping families of seriously ill children.
Nearly 100 cars have been entered for the race day, which could become an annual event. Many of the cars that people will be driven around the track in, including a Lotus Evora that had just won an endurance test at Brand's Hatch, were on show with their drivers at the Holiday Inn Norwich-North, off Cromer Road, for the launch yesterday.
The event is being held to raise money for The Ronald McDonald House Charities , which provides free accommodation in or close to hospitals and hospices throughout the UK, so families of seriously ill children can stay together while their child is being treated.
It is hoped that eventually such a hospice can be opened at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.
You may also want to watch:
Kevin Foley, who runs two McDonalds franchises in the city, has teamed up with Devin Grosse, general manager Holiday Inn Norwich-North, Danny Snelling and Shaun Taylor to put on the event. Mr Snelling said: 'We are thrilled with the turn-out and it's nice to get a chance to tell people a bit more about the event on November 26.'
Families with experience of the Ronald McDonald homes also attended the event, including Paul Hodgson, from Cringleford, who stayed at one of the homes near St Thomas' Hospital in London when his daughter Rosie, 13, was ill. He said: 'When young children go to hospital there's no funding for families to stay at hotels to be near them. The unit we stayed in was like a home from home, and it would great to have similar facilities at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.'
- 1 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 2 Tributes to popular Tesco worker with 'sparkling personality'
- 3 Revealed: How much to rent former high street store
- 4 School shut after ceiling tile falls on to class of children
- 5 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 6 Drag Race star Bimini spotted shopping in Norwich
- 7 Masterplan for 4,000-homes Colman's regeneration to go on show
- 8 Britain's poshest train came to Norwich and Ipswich and it was pure luxury
- 9 Samson and Hercules building reopens under new owners
- 10 Teen motorcyclist taken to hospital after crash with bus in Norwich
The Snetterton event runs on Saturday, November 26 from 9am-4pm. It will cost between �20 and �80 for anyone over 12 or over 4ft10in to be driven around the track by the licensed racing drivers, visit www.charityraceexperience.co.uk.
Have you organised an event in Norwich for charity? Call reporter David Bale on 01603 772427 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.