Charity fundraiser to run marathon - in a Norwich supermarket
Mary HamiltonA Norfolk runner is hoping to complete a supermarket dash for charity as he trains for the London Marathon.Mary Hamilton
A Norfolk runner is hoping to complete a supermarket dash for charity as he trains for the London Marathon.
Simon McKinna will run just over 26 miles - a full marathon - on January 23on a treadmill in the foyer of the Tesco store on Blue Boar Lane, Sprowston, which he hopes will raise �500 to be split between the East Anglian Air Ambulance and Virgin Unite.
Mr McKinna, an ex-soldier from Aylsham, is also organising a rowing competition, with entrants paying �1.50 to submit their fastest time for rowing 1km. Prizes will go to the fastest time and a time picked at random.
'Everything is going well at the moment,' he said. 'I've raised just over �2,500 towards the �5,000 goal, completed over 500 training miles and still have a few plans up my sleeve to bring in the rest of the cash.'
In December he organised a 24-hour running event at the Black Boys pub in Aylsham, where teams of sponsored volunteers took it in turns to run in costume.
At Aylsham Christmas lights switch-on he ran a competition for people to guess how far he could run in 90 minutes - he ran 11.5 miles and raised more than �50 on the day.
- 1 Single mum resorts to sleeping in her car due to 'unlivable' flat
- 2 Michael McIntyre and Robert Rinder spotted at Carrow Road
- 3 Norwich man charged with kidnap after posing as a taxi driver
- 4 Team behind Golden Triangle pub take on Edith Cavell in Norwich
- 5 Your chance to meet The Bill star who has moved to Norfolk
- 6 Major changes coming to the sale of domestic fuels
- 7 Party in the Park coming to Norwich with global food, stalls and music
- 8 Eleventh McDonald's drive-thru could be set for Norwich
- 9 Bread Source confirms location of new store
- 10 Riverside pub undergoes £80k refurb in time for summer
He also tackled Norwich half marathon in November wearing a bright yellow foam helicopter suit, an experience which he will be repeating in Silverstone in March and at Bungay in April.
Mr McKinna works for Virgin Media and will be starting the London Marathon alongside Richard Branson in April.
To sponsor Mr McKinna or to track his progress and learn more about the challenges visit www.mckinna.co.uk.