Catch comedy classic Dad’s Army at the Wymondham Regal
Norfolk's classic comedy Dad's Army gets a rare outing on the silver screen at Wymondham Regal this weekend. Don't miss it, says Derek James.
Don't panic...there is still time to get your tickets for a film show with a difference at the weekend,
The movie of Norfolk's very own comedy classic Dad's Army is being shown at the old Regal in Wymondham this Sunday.
But there's more...
Making a personal appearance will be Frank Williams who played the long-suffering vicar in the series and there will be some rare footage of the Dad's Army team promoting road safety.
The big screen version was a spin-off from the classic TV series featuring the all the regulars such as Arthur Lowe, John le Mesurier, Clive Dunn, Ian Lavender – and the rest. Frank Williams started his showbiz career in 1953 and has appeared in gems such as The Army Game and All Gas and Gaiters plus a string of movies – including a trio with Norman Wisdom.
To put you in the mood a compilation of wartime shorts will be screened. If War Should Come was shown in 2,000 cinemas around the country during the week beginning September 18 1939 and The Front Line was made in 1940 to show how the folk of Dover were calmly going about their lives with the town constantly under threat.
- 1 School sacks suspended teacher after investigation and petition
- 2 Former city sex shop up for sale
- 3 Roads chaos continues with more work lined up at busy junction
- 4 'They want to suck your blood': Bed bugs invade city homes
- 5 Teenager suffers serious injuries in city crash
- 6 When will work start on new Aldi store?
- 7 Dispute with council over legal cannabis use following eviction from home
- 8 Meet the mystery city woman behind the Queen's post box topper
- 9 U-turn on city bike shop closure
- 10 Customised coat used by family of shoplifters in city spree
A wonderful cartoon promoting the war effort and featuring all the best-loved Disney characters will add to the atmosphere along with people turning up in Second World War attire – along with a Captain Mainwaring lookalike.
Tickets for the show at the Wymondham Ex-Services Club on Sunday, March 20 at 2.30pm are available from Maureen Dodman on 01953 605593, Michael Armstrong on 01953 603246 and at the Wymondham Heritage Museum.