Cashpoint thieves target Norwich and three Norfolk towns
Steve DownesA clutch of Norfolk people have fallen victim to a new crime - distraction thefts at cash machines.The county's police are warning residents to be alert after a spate of incidents at machines in Norwich, Thetford, Attleborough and Dereham.Steve Downes
A clutch of Norfolk people have fallen victim to a new crime - distraction thefts at cash machines.
The county's police are warning residents to be alert after a spate of incidents at machines in Norwich, Thetford, Attleborough and Dereham.
In each of the incidents, the person withdrawing the money was approached and had pieces of paper waved in front of their faces to distract them.
A second criminal then removed the card from the machine while the victim's attention was diverted. On three occasions a large amount of cash was then withdrawn.
You may also want to watch:
The latest incident took place some time between 11.45am and 12 noon on Tuesday, April 27 at a machine outside Morrisons supermarket in Station Road, Dereham.
A 72-year-old man was using the cash machine when he was approached by a man waving a piece of paper in front of his face and saying the machine was not working. The victim realised his card was missing and �500 was later taken from his account.
- 1 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 2 Can you rehome this Terrier who has spent nine years at animal sanctuary?
- 3 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 4 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 5 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 6 Four fire crews called to car blaze in Norwich garage
- 7 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 8 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 9 Military begin coronavirus support at hospital
- 10 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
The theft is believed to be linked to a number of similar incidents across the county:
Shortly before 2.30pm on Monday, March 29, a 69-year-old woman was targeted outside Lloyds TSB in Unthank Road, Norwich. The victim had �300 taken from her account.
Earlier the same day at around 1.40pm a 66-year-old woman was distracted by two men as she tried to withdraw cash at the Lloyds TSB in King Street, Thetford. The victim again had �300 taken from her account.
Shortly after 11.50am on Wednesday, February 24, an 85-year-old man was approached by two men while using a cash machine at Lloyds in Exchange Street, Attleborough.
Later the same day at around 1.15pm a 43-year-old woman was targeted outside the Halifax in Gentleman's Walk, Norwich.
Officers said people should be vigilant and asked anyone with information to contact PC Lee Anderton at Fakenham Police on 0845 456 4567 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.