Cashpoint thieves target Norwich and three Norfolk towns
Steve DownesA clutch of Norfolk people have fallen victim to a new crime - distraction thefts at cash machines.The county's police are warning residents to be alert after a spate of incidents at machines in Norwich, Thetford, Attleborough and Dereham.Steve Downes
A clutch of Norfolk people have fallen victim to a new crime - distraction thefts at cash machines.
The county's police are warning residents to be alert after a spate of incidents at machines in Norwich, Thetford, Attleborough and Dereham.
In each of the incidents, the person withdrawing the money was approached and had pieces of paper waved in front of their faces to distract them.
A second criminal then removed the card from the machine while the victim's attention was diverted. On three occasions a large amount of cash was then withdrawn.
You may also want to watch:
The latest incident took place some time between 11.45am and 12 noon on Tuesday, April 27 at a machine outside Morrisons supermarket in Station Road, Dereham.
A 72-year-old man was using the cash machine when he was approached by a man waving a piece of paper in front of his face and saying the machine was not working. The victim realised his card was missing and �500 was later taken from his account.
- 1 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 2 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 3 Parts of busy Norwich road to be shut for three days for repairs
- 4 Twin Bakes sell out of treats during first pop-up sale
- 5 Norwich pub to temporarily close this summer because of 'pingdemic'
- 6 Man and woman found dead in home
- 7 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 8 £800k roadworks branded 'waste of time and effort'
- 9 Why is it so difficult to buy bottled water?
- 10 Praise for city's welcoming spirit after 'phenomenal' Norwich Pride
The theft is believed to be linked to a number of similar incidents across the county:
Shortly before 2.30pm on Monday, March 29, a 69-year-old woman was targeted outside Lloyds TSB in Unthank Road, Norwich. The victim had �300 taken from her account.
Earlier the same day at around 1.40pm a 66-year-old woman was distracted by two men as she tried to withdraw cash at the Lloyds TSB in King Street, Thetford. The victim again had �300 taken from her account.
Shortly after 11.50am on Wednesday, February 24, an 85-year-old man was approached by two men while using a cash machine at Lloyds in Exchange Street, Attleborough.
Later the same day at around 1.15pm a 43-year-old woman was targeted outside the Halifax in Gentleman's Walk, Norwich.
Officers said people should be vigilant and asked anyone with information to contact PC Lee Anderton at Fakenham Police on 0845 456 4567 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.