Canadian canoes arrive in Norwich as public get chance to pedal down River Wensum
- Credit: Archant
What do you get when you cross a bicycle with a canoe?
That is the question 27-year-old Joe Rutland asked when he first designed his unusual pedal-powered watercraft in 2013.
Two years later the young engineer is hoping to introduce his unique Canadian canoes to the public.
He said: 'I've always had a long interest in making bikes and I thought a pedal-powered boat would be a fun thing to have a go at.
'There are similar designs elsewhere in the Broads, but this is Norwich's first chance to have a go on one.'
This weekend people will be able to pedal their way down the River Wensum as Mr Rutland launches his new venture.
The tandem canoes feature a central drive, wooden seating and a rudder.
- 1 Two neighbouring properties go up for sale - and they both need some TLC
- 2 All you need to know ahead of the Lord Mayor's Celebration 2022
- 3 Buses damaged in city centre collision
- 4 Road closures revealed for Lord Mayor's Celebration
- 5 Blaze sees 20 passengers evacuated from city bus
- 6 New pub landlord welcomes back families and introduces street food menu
- 7 Vehicles worth £50k stolen from Royal Norfolk Show
- 8 Mobility scooter trashed by hazardous wheelie bins
- 9 Can you spot yourself in the Lord Mayor's Procession crowd?
- 10 Fine dining Indian restaurant named best in region at awards
The absence of an oar means that people will have their hands free to enjoy a picnic or take a picture while travelling across the water.
Mr Rutland said he had invested around £20,000 in his new business, which is located on a small jetty near Norwich Playhouse.
As well as a selection of pedal craft, he also has normal Canadian canoes available to the public.
Norwich Canoe Hire is open this Saturday and Sunday from 10am to 6pm.
It costs £15 to hire a canoe for one hour and £20 for an hour on a pedal craft.
For more information, visit www.norwichcanoe.co.uk
Do you have an unusual business venture? Call Luke Powell on 01603 772684.