Canadian canoes arrive in Norwich as public get chance to pedal down River Wensum
- Credit: Archant
What do you get when you cross a bicycle with a canoe?
That is the question 27-year-old Joe Rutland asked when he first designed his unusual pedal-powered watercraft in 2013.
Two years later the young engineer is hoping to introduce his unique Canadian canoes to the public.
He said: 'I've always had a long interest in making bikes and I thought a pedal-powered boat would be a fun thing to have a go at.
'There are similar designs elsewhere in the Broads, but this is Norwich's first chance to have a go on one.'
You may also want to watch:
This weekend people will be able to pedal their way down the River Wensum as Mr Rutland launches his new venture.
The tandem canoes feature a central drive, wooden seating and a rudder.
- 1 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 2 New BBQ takeaway set to open in Norwich
- 3 'We do everything correctly': Norwich takeaway handed one star hygiene rating
- 4 To cross or not to cross? Pledge to trim back danger hedge at blind corner
- 5 'Sneaky and selfish' changes to bus route slammed
- 6 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 7 Inconvenience store: Family business blighted by roadworks
- 8 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
- 9 'We will come back stronger': Norwich restaurant to close for rebranding
- 10 Bars, restaurants and shops - Five new openings in Norwich this September
The absence of an oar means that people will have their hands free to enjoy a picnic or take a picture while travelling across the water.
Mr Rutland said he had invested around £20,000 in his new business, which is located on a small jetty near Norwich Playhouse.
As well as a selection of pedal craft, he also has normal Canadian canoes available to the public.
Norwich Canoe Hire is open this Saturday and Sunday from 10am to 6pm.
It costs £15 to hire a canoe for one hour and £20 for an hour on a pedal craft.
For more information, visit www.norwichcanoe.co.uk
Do you have an unusual business venture? Call Luke Powell on 01603 772684.