Calls for unified approach to improve Yarmouth rail station
Stephen PullingerGreat Yarmouth's prospective Conservative Parliamentary candidate Brandon Lewis has met leading figures from Norfolk County Council to work on a unified approach in pushing for improvements to the town's rundown rail station.Stephen Pullinger
Great Yarmouth's prospective Conservative Parliamentary candidate Brandon Lewis has met leading figures from Norfolk County Council to work on a unified approach in pushing for improvements to the town's rundown rail station.
Mr Lewis, who launched a 'Fix our Station' campaign during a visit to the town in January by Tory party chairman Eric Pickles, wants both the county and borough council to join him in pressing the Department for Transport to include guarantees on station improvements in the bid document for the new rail franchise coming into effect next year.
Since the campaign was launched, it has won the support of thousands of residents and prominent businesses, including the nearby Asda store.
Mr Lewis said: 'It is encouraging to see everyone working together to see the positive results we are looking for. The next step is for us is to meet with representatives from National Rail and Network Express and a meeting is already scheduled for later in the month. 'This is a good positive start to the campaign and I will continue to put pressure on the organisations involved to see results. Please continue to support us by going online at www.fixourstation.com and sign the online petition.'
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 2 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job
- 3 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 4 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 5 Large estate to have its first food store this autumn
- 6 Norfolk hit by thunderstorms and heavy hail
- 7 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 8 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash
- 9 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 10 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m