Call goes out for mods and rockers’ memories as Norwich sees a surge in mod fashion popularity
An appeal has started for Great Yarmouth's mods and rockers from the 1960s to share their experiences for a new educational project.
The Norwich Heritage Economic and Regeneration Trust's Reel Heritage project are developing an educational DVD, looking at the post-war changes in teenage culture and sub-culture and seeking local experiences.
The 1960s saw an influx of the rival groups to the popular seaside resort on bank holiday weekends.
But David Hanton, partner in the store Mod One on Magdalen Street in Norwich, said there was still a thriving mod scene today in Norwich. He said: 'There's been a big revival in the city, a bit like a second-coming.'
Other areas of interest for the DVD include fashion, hairstyles, transport, and mods and rockers' media portrayal.
Film footage has already been sourced from the UEA's East Anglian Film Archive, but the heritage project is seeking more memories to be shared from those in Great Yarmouth from the era.Reel Heritage project manager, Jane Jarvis, said: 'The archive film we now have access to, thanks to digitisation, is a tremendous resource and unique part of our social history.
'With the help of both younger and older generations from the Great Yarmouth area, we hope this inter-generational project will create a DVD of educational value for young people and have an impact on all generations.'
- 1 Former Norwich restaurant to be transformed into £1.5m food hall
- 2 Man refusing to pay rent for council flat over 16-year mould problem
- 3 Mum has foot run over in incident with foul-mouthed driver
- 4 Parking charges at city parks has raised £0
- 5 Norwich's tiniest pub completes facelift
- 6 Extra security measures approved for flats plagued by drug use
- 7 Bottomless brunch with 90s act, fried chicken and cocktails heading to city
- 8 Concerns raised over fate of junior school site
- 9 City teen named Ikea drops furniture brand as first name
- 10 Five street food vendors doing residencies in Norwich pubs
If you have any memories to share, contact Jane Jarvis at Norwich HEART, The Guildhall, Gaol Hill, Norwich, NR2 1JS or email@example.com.