Call goes out for mods and rockers’ memories as Norwich sees a surge in mod fashion popularity
An appeal has started for Great Yarmouth's mods and rockers from the 1960s to share their experiences for a new educational project.
The Norwich Heritage Economic and Regeneration Trust's Reel Heritage project are developing an educational DVD, looking at the post-war changes in teenage culture and sub-culture and seeking local experiences.
The 1960s saw an influx of the rival groups to the popular seaside resort on bank holiday weekends.
But David Hanton, partner in the store Mod One on Magdalen Street in Norwich, said there was still a thriving mod scene today in Norwich. He said: 'There's been a big revival in the city, a bit like a second-coming.'
Other areas of interest for the DVD include fashion, hairstyles, transport, and mods and rockers' media portrayal.
You may also want to watch:
Film footage has already been sourced from the UEA's East Anglian Film Archive, but the heritage project is seeking more memories to be shared from those in Great Yarmouth from the era.Reel Heritage project manager, Jane Jarvis, said: 'The archive film we now have access to, thanks to digitisation, is a tremendous resource and unique part of our social history.
'With the help of both younger and older generations from the Great Yarmouth area, we hope this inter-generational project will create a DVD of educational value for young people and have an impact on all generations.'
- 1 Noise concerns spark more than 40 objections to new city venue bid
- 2 Controversy reignited over 300 home scheme on edge of Norwich
- 3 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 4 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 5 Monster rats 'the size of cats' invade city - and get in via the LOO
- 6 Golden Triangle pub goes up for sale for half a million
- 7 'Turn up!' Groomer's plea to no-show pet owners
- 8 'More of a service than a business': Bid to turn pub into local shop
- 9 Chaos on ‘free-for-all' city street after double yellows disappear
- 10 A look at the faces behind Norwich Market
If you have any memories to share, contact Jane Jarvis at Norwich HEART, The Guildhall, Gaol Hill, Norwich, NR2 1JS or firstname.lastname@example.org.