Call for volunteers to take part in a medical drama at Norfolk and Norwich Festival
- Credit: Bill Smith - Archant
An ambulance may seem an unlikely place for a theatre show – but Norwich-based Curious Directive will be asking its audience to take their seats in one of the emergency vehicles for its new performance.
The company's show The Kindness of Strangers – being devised for the Norfolk and Norwich Festival – is a look at the lives of paramedics, and will take place in an ambulance which starts off outside Norwich Playhouse and is driven around the city streets to deal with various fictitious incidents and emergencies.
The Kindness of Strangers' run at the Norfolk and Norwich Festival in May is already sold out, but people can still experience the show by joining the production's community ensemble or becoming a volunteer site manager.
Jack Lowe, Curious Directive's artistic director, said the show was inspired by the importance of the NHS and the need to protect it.
'It is a celebration and an investigation of the NHS and the ambulance service in 2013,' he said.
You may also want to watch:
'We wanted to look at an element of the NHS, and thought we could put people through the experiences of a shift in the ambulance service and the situations paramedics could come across, everything from poorly baby to an old lady who has lost her husband, to a drunk in the street.'
The show's full storyline will depend on the volunteers who are recruited, and Mr Lowe said volunteers do not need to have previous performance experience.
- 1 Boss puts Queen Anne family home up for sale for £1.325m
- 2 People queue at Norwich Primark an hour before 7am reopening
- 3 'We haven't slept': Primark shoppers queue outside city store from 3am
- 4 Prince of Wales Road will bounce back, nightlife stalwarts predict
- 5 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 6 Norwich City transfer rumours: Prolific Greek international in Canaries' sights
- 7 Police close section of A11 due to crash
- 8 Norwich takeaway's food poisoning complaint investigation closed
- 9 Are you lost? Seal splashes its way to Norwich
- 10 Tenants battled 'extreme mould' for months
'I am fascinated to see who comes forward. Putting the show together will be an adventure and volunteers will have the chance to be part of a very unique show,' he said.
'We don't think a show in an ambulance has ever been done before.'
For The Kindness of Strangers, Curious Directive is looking for volunteers aged 18 to 88 for non-speaking roles in the community ensemble.
Volunteers need to be available to rehearse for five evenings between April 29 and May 8, the May 9 dress rehearsal, and performances from May 9 to 12.
The company is also looking for site managers who need to be available from 4pm until 8pm on May 7 and 8, and all day from May 9 to 12.
To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org by midday on April 15. Emails should include your name, date of birth, postcode, which role you are interested and up to 100 words about why, and a picture of yourself.
For more about Curious Directive visit www.curiousdirective.com
For more about Norfolk and Norwich Festival visit www.nnfestival.org.uk