Call for improved rail services between Norwich and Yarmouth
Tara GreavesA half hourly train service from Norwich to Great Yarmouth at peak times is one of the suggestions a transport users group has put forward in a wish list to be included in the new Greater Anglia rail franchise.Tara Greaves
A half hourly train service from Norwich to Great Yarmouth at peak times is one of the suggestions a transport users group has put forward in a wish list to be included in the new Greater Anglia rail franchise.
The East Norfolk Transport Users Association, founded in 1979, has put six suggestions to the Department for Transport to be built into the new franchise for when National Express East Anglia gives way to a new operator next year.
Steve Hewitt , a member of the association, said: 'Our aim is for better public transport from Norwich to Yarmouth.
Submissions for what we would like to see included in the new rail franchise have to be in by April 19 and the franchise operator will be announced at the end of the summer to begin on April 1 next year.
'We have come up with half a dozen points we would like to see incorporated.'
They also include a service from Yarmouth to Cambridge once an hour and late night trains returning to the town from Norwich.
- 1 Walker furious as beauty spot 'ruined' by bush chopping
- 2 City schools to share one site as building returned to council
- 3 House of horrors: Is this the worst council property in Norwich?
- 4 Burger off! Petition launched to scrap new McDonald's plan
- 5 Tourist slapped with £100 parking fine for cash machine stop
- 6 Five of Norwich's best takeaways according to our readers
- 7 New beer and burrito bar opens in city centre
- 8 Petition supporting Western Link gains hundreds of signatures
- 9 Police on hand as anti-vaccine protesters gather in city
- 10 Mum describes heartache year on from daughter's tragic death
Another key element is that any franchise has enough rolling stock so that if one breaks down there are not cancellations.
What do you think? Write to Evening News letters at Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich, NR1 1RE, or email email@example.com