New vinyl record store to open in city
- Credit: Venus Vinyl/Quanstrom Studio
A vinyl record store will be opening in Magdalen Street in April, with plans to sell craft ale in the summer.
Venus Vinyl will be moving into Quanstrom Studio - an independent furniture store - and the two businesses will operate the site as a joint venture.
Plans are currently in place to open on April 16 for a soft opening, with craft ales from around the county and beyond on sale further down the line.
The record company is owned by Benjamin Venus, who explained: "I started Venus Vinyl about seven years ago when I had a stall on Broadway Market in London. I used to turn up with the records on a bike trailer and I'd sell them from there.
"During the pandemic I decided to work on the business online full-time. That's when I got a call from Daniel Quanstrom who I've been friends with for years.
"We got chatting and realised we could sell vinyls as well as his furniture, so I decided to make the move up to Norwich.
"I only sell new records - that's not to say it's not older music but they're not second hand - and I thought there was an opportunity in Norwich.
- 1 Cannabis factory uncovered in former bar in Norwich's clubland
- 2 Team behind Norwich restaurants reopen closed hotel
- 3 Police swoop after £400k cocaine parcel delivered to Norwich house
- 4 Man found dead in Norwich hotel
- 5 Heron dies after being shot six times with air gun in Norwich
- 6 Norwich pub welcomes eight new street food vendors
- 7 Council to force landowners to sell so £1.3m roundabout can be built
- 8 New Danish bakery in Norwich sells over 1,000 pastries in first week
- 9 Influencer loses one-of-a-kind wedding ring at coast
- 10 £1.3m property for sale on one of most popular roads in Norwich
"There are some great vinyl shops in Norwich which I've visited many times over the years and all of them have a bit more of a specialism.
"We'll be selling all sorts - in my opinion good music is good music, it doesn't matter when it was made or what genre it is."
He added: "We also want to sell a few craft beers so people can have a drink while they wander around the store - I feel like people buying vinyls probably like craft beers too. I don't know if we'll be doing that straight away but in due course we'll have a bit of a bench or seating outside for people to relax on."
Mr Venus plans on opening the store from 11am to 7pm daily at its site in 136 Magdalen Street.