Riverside dog-friendly bar opens in city for summertime
- Credit: The Weir/Archant
A riverside bar will be open in Norwich until June, with organisers hoping to host a series of independent eateries over the coming weekends.
The Weir has opened in a car park in Westwick Street with 30 picnic tables allowing for socially distanced groups of up to six.
The venture has been organised by Norwich publican Aidan Mahon, who said he wanted to bring a "relaxed, family-friendly ambiance" to the site.
Mr Mahon tried to launch a similar venture last year, but scrapped plans for the Marquee of St Benedict's following noise complaints.
"We opened last weekend and it was a really lovely vibe. When we were looking at the planning this year we wanted to make sure we took on board everything from last year.
You may also want to watch:
"We've completely changed the way we've done things - we're only opening Friday, Saturday and Sundays, and we'll be closing at 10 every night.
"We're also encouraging families to come down, and dogs are very welcome too.
- 1 Revealed: How much to rent former high street store
- 2 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 3 Driver taken to hospital after four-car crash on key road into Norwich
- 4 No more action against teenager arrested after fatal Thorpe stabbing
- 5 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 6 Robbers knock out boy, 14, and steal trainers from his feet
- 7 Unlikely new use for city's Samson and Hercules building
- 8 Suspect identified in search for elderly man who undressed in park
- 9 'Fantastic' new hospital ward welcomes first patients
- 10 Community shock after teenager knocked unconscious as robbers steal trainers
"It's always a challenge setting up pop-up sites like this but even more so with Covid.
"We wanted to make sure we got everything absolutely right - we've got table service and socially distanced tables as we want to be absolutely Covid secure," he said.
The publican, who worked at bars including the Butcher Bhoy and Dog House, added that he would be inviting varies food vendors to the venue.
"We've had pizza there before, we had American-style food last weekend and that went down really well so we'll be doing the same again this week. We'll be selling burgers, hot dogs, that sort of thing.
"We've also got a fully licensed bar selling beer, wine, and of course soft drinks."