Search

Ryanair passengers whose flights were cancelled having to pay again to choose seats and check luggage when re-booking

PUBLISHED: 08:37 20 September 2017 | UPDATED: 10:10 21 September 2017

A Ryanair plane at Stansted Airport. The budget airline has announced it will cancel up to 50 flights daily for the next six weeks in a bid to improve punctuality. Picture: Chris Radburn/PA Wire

A Ryanair plane at Stansted Airport. The budget airline has announced it will cancel up to 50 flights daily for the next six weeks in a bid to improve punctuality. Picture: Chris Radburn/PA Wire

Some Ryanair passengers have reported having to pay again to pick seats or take hold luggage when re-booking flights after the airline announced mass cancellations.

The travellers who were offered “free” replacement flights discovered they were not refunded for charges for extras paid on their original booking.

The Dublin-based carrier – which is shelving up to 50 flights daily over the next six weeks – said it is aware of the issue and any customers who were double charged for seats or hold luggage will be refunded.

One passenger told the Daily Telegraph that the website would not let them book on a flight “unless I paid twice for the seats and bags”.

Consumer rights group Which? said it was “outrageous” that people could be double charged and urged the airline to issue refunds swiftly.

Alex Neill, managing director of home products and services, said: “It’s outrageous that Ryanair passengers who have had already to endure huge inconvenience are essentially being double charged for booking seating and luggage.

“The airline must quickly ensure affected passengers are re-booked, fully refunded and automatically compensated without having to jump through hoops.”

Kenny Jacobs, the airline’s chief marketing officer, told the Telegraph: “We are aware of this issue and any customer who has been double charged for bags or allocated seating will be refunded.”

Ryanair faces a compensation bill of up to 20m euro (£17.7m) over the cancellations brought about by the over-allocation of pilots’ holidays during a relatively busy period.

The airline said it was cancelling flights at airports where it ran the busiest schedules so it would be easier to place passengers on alternative flights.

Customers affected by cancellations which run until October 28 will be emailed offers of alternatives or full refunds and details of their compensation entitlement, the budget airline confirmed.

Michael O’Leary, the airline’s chief executive, told a press conference on Tuesday that it was clear the debacle had a “large reputational impact” and apologised.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the Evening News
digital edition

Subscribe

Most Read

Latest from the Norwich Evening News