Norwich's independent stores as you've never seen them before
- Credit: Hattie's Prints
It's an advent calendar with a difference... A Norwich illustrator has created 24 designs featuring the city's independent businesses, as well as a few of its flagship sites.
The images have been produced by Harriet Spalding, 22, who has been sharing them on her Instagram page.
Miss Spalding graduated from Norwich Arts University in 2020, having studied graphic design.
She works as a designer in Norwich and creates illustrations as a way of relaxing in the evenings and weekends. She then sells the images through her business, Hattie's Prints.
She decided to draw storefronts of independent businesses as a challenge to herself: "I'd just started to get into illustrating and I wanted to set myself a project. I wanted something I could work to and 24 seemed like a nice number.
"I also wanted to use styles and mediums that were different from what I normally do."
Since starting her prints business Miss Spalding has become interested in others like her who run small-scale firms, and has become passionate about encouraging people to shop locally.
- 1 Roads closed as armed police and dog units swoop on Norwich home
- 2 WATCH: Taxi driver throws punch as narrow street causes aggro
- 3 Cannabis factory discovered in Norwich home after police raid
- 4 City garden centre launches street food nights with popular vendors
- 5 Sign of the times: After 187 years jeweller Winsor Bishop changes name
- 6 WATCH: Shock for drivers as car goes the wrong way on A47
- 7 REVEALED: New leisure venue replacing Riverside Chinese
- 8 Dodgy door halts city man's house move by MONTHS
- 9 Neighbours' fears after cannabis farm raided in city
- 10 Cabbies could protest over lost £400 a month
"I'd got really into independent shops and there are so many great ones in Norwich," Miss Spalding said.
"I wanted to include the big ones, like Jarrold and the Assembly House, and then added my favourites. I posted about it on Instagram and other people recommended the ones they like."
Miss Spalding's 24 Norwich independent illustrations are currently being displayed in the window at Thorns.
"As I was illustrating Thorns a few months ago, they got in touch and said they'd love to have them all in their window.
"It's really exciting, it's so nice to hear that people like them.
"I might make them into something afterward, like a calendar. And next year I might do another similar project with a different theme."
The 24 prints are all available on Hattie's Prints' website or on Instagram via @hattiesprints. The prints are 21cm x 21cm and are £12 each.